PhdInCartoons's avatar

• Joined Feb 12, 2013
  • 25 / ?

Samurai Champloo

Feb 28, 2013

O.K. but falls into a familiar routine. It also is quite episodic, with lots of little mini-stories being strung together. Perhaps if it wasn't made by the guy behind Cowboy Bebop it may have been marked higher. I was expecting so much more.

Nice to look at, especially in the fighting scenes. The differences in the 2 characters fighting styles is very well done and throughout the animation is top-notch.

The voices are good, which is to be expected and the music fits the style of the show very well. I particularly enjoyed how the music mirrored the relationship between the 2 samurai, Jin and Mugen. There was straight-laced traditional mixed with free-style unpredicatability.

The characters are likeable enough; there just isn’t really sufficient development. More time should have been given to getting to know these characters. This was probably the thing which disappointed me most. In Bebop this was handled very well and here it doesn't quite match up.

Overall

Really good, but no Cowboy Bebop. If you can watch this first, then move on to the better Cowboy Bebop. I  would still recommend watching this. It is very stylish, which is what it was going for.

7.8/10 overall