OtakuSenpai

The Snow Queen

BASED ON 2 OF 2 VOLUMES READ
7 FEB
2013

Summary: There once was a man called the most brilliant intellectual. And a woman with everything standing at the death's door. Their hearts were so completely frozen solid that nothing could melt them. What kind of light was it that could melt their hearts? ...Love...? If the answer was love, isn't it beyond absurdity?

Plot: The story was beautiful. I liked the premise. And for the most part I LOVED was it were it went with this good premise. This story is incredibly engaging when you can understand what’s going on. The Snow Queen had not so great flashbacks. There is no note saying that we are flashbacking (yeah I made up that word just now. Whadda goin' do bout it?). So I was confused very much it's hard to explain. This Manhwa is the type of Manhwa that you have to wrap your brain around what’s happening to keep up. Don't misinterpret me; I'm not saying that The Snow Queen is psychological. It's more of a tragedy. The story structure might bother some people.

Art: I don't like typical shoujo drawing styles. I never had and I probably never will. The main thing I didn't like about this drawing style is their lips. But I had to keep in mind that this is not a Japanese work, it's Korean. So it's understandable that it's not going to be the same. So that’s why I let it pass this time.

Characters: Bora was haughty and mean. Tae-Woong is a nice smart university student. Surprisingly I didn't hold any degree of malice for Bora. I really like her character and she was really relatable. I mean some people might be annoyed by her, but I was not one of those people. Tae-Woong, however, made me want to cry and punch him. He was a pretty decent male lead, but some his actions made me revolted. And there is one more character worth note in my book- Seung-Lee. You know it is next to impossible to create a non-annoying love triangle. No I don't mean legit love triangles were you don't know who they're going to end up with. I mean the love triangles where it's pretty obvious that one person isn't going to get together with. And Seung-lee is the stereotypical character. And I can handle those obnoxious people until a certain point. But Seung-Lee actually started insulting Bora! She is one of the only characters I've held this much malice for. And Tae-Woong supported Seung-Lee! That is one of his MANY actions that greatly angered me.

Overall: I know it might not sound it from this review but The Snow Queen plucked at my heartstrings. My eyes were stinging with tears most of the time.  It wasn't cliché at all. And at times it seriously made me think that Tae-Woong and Bora wouldn't get together. The Snow Queen is a very emotional Manhwa that has a very bitter-sweet ending.

Other Manga Reviews by OtakuSenpai