OtakuSenpai's avatar

• Joined Jan 28, 2013
  • ? / F

Tobenai Tori

Jan 28, 2013

Summary: Aoi was abused by her teacher in middle school, a trauma she is still unable to overcome. One day, because of a family vacation, she is reunited with her first love, Kaoru: even though she has never forgotten him, she definitely doesn't want him to see how much she's changed...!

Plot: How do I describe this oddball of a manga? As you might have noticed romance in general and especially in Japan is portrayed as a pure innocent love. So a smutless manga like this is a welcome! Right? Well that would be the case if it was executed well. Tobenai Tori is a 5 Chapter manga. And 3 of those chapters are actually dedicated to the title story. Tobenai Tori squeezed so much 'drama' in a little window of space, that it seemed superficial.  It could have been handled so much better. First, they didn't really explain things very well. I found myself saying repeatedly 'wait......what?'. I'm really sad because it had so much potential. This is supposed to be labeled as 'psychological' but that is an insult to psychological manga.

Art: I could have a biased opinion on this one because tradition shoujo drawing styles such as this one are not my cup of tea. Nevertheless I still hated it. I'm sorry, but random feathers and unidentified balls of light randomly floating on the page is not very attractive.

Characters: There was a girl, a boy, a mom, a teacher, a best friend, a girl with unrequited love, and a guy assaulting the girl.......That’s all I got. Aoi was having sex for a reason. Kaoru was in love with Aoi for some reason. That’s pretty much what I got. They had weak development to say the least.

Overall: So that concludes my review. I don't know why, but this manga kept me mildly interested in what was going to happen. I'm glad I read it even if it was bad.