Otaku108

Otome Youkai Zakuro

12 SEP
2011

A sweet tale weaved with your typical parts.

All in all, there wasn't much here that you couldn't find in half of the other shows like it. A pretty standard fair with oddly drawn characters thrown in to make it seem unique. The progression had a very little stagnation but the fact that it was only 13 episodes didn't leave much room for padding. It was still a cute little rom/com set in what I can only assume to be an alternate world where monsters and humans lived side by side.

Animation:

A very prettily drawn show, lots of detail and well designed characters and buildings. It's not something that took my breath away but it certainly held up against other current shows. Some of the hairstyles and accessories were a little over the top but what else would you expect from anime? No extra points for the various cartoon faces that you seem to get during comedy moments.

Sounds:

An oddity for me since this was what made me truly end up making the show for me. I'm not very interested in the musical scores or various sound effects generally but there was a few moments here that just wowed me in such a way that I was enthralled. In particular was the song the girls sang during their first encounter with the lightning beast, a somewhat haunting melody which served to bewitch me... which was the point of the song apparently.

I can't say I was impressed here, the various characters were almost so typical I could easily have taken someone from a completely different anime, transplanted them in and there would have been little issue with congruency. Pretty much every character arch-type was present and accounted for, not impressed but then again what can the writers do? Still, I always wish for some originality here and there wasn't much to be found this time.

Overall:

As much as I complain about it being so much like others of it's genre that in no way makes this a title unworthy of viewing. It was fun, cute, sweet and had a compelling story with likable characters. Added with the fact that it had a wonderful musical score and decent animation there's not much you can dislike about this one if you're a fan of the genre. Not one I'd go out of my way to recommend but definitely not something I'd tell people they'd be wasting their time on either. If you have nothing better to do you could do much worse than this one, give it a shot.

Other Anime Reviews by Otaku108