Otaku108

Chrome Shelled Regios

7 NOV
2009

Another title that I've seen where the sum doesn't equal the parts. What went wrong here was bad plot management and character development.

The story itself had a lot of potential for greatness, and in some ways it was great. Sadly due to bad plot management and a poor resolution, that is to say almost none, it just tore down what would have been a good story. Episode transitions were sometimes confusing at best, and outright nonsensical at worst. I never did get the "mini-series" in the show, it seemed like they were trying to go for something and came up short.

Animation:

The art here was quite good most of the time, the action was fluid and detailed, most of the characters were uniquely drawn, but they had to go with crazy hair colors for some reason. The landscapes were great to look at but the cityscapes just seemed cookie cutter to me.

Sound:

Once again, nothing in here that made me swoon, as is usually the case since I never really pay much attention to it. Unless something really sticks out in either direction this is a category that's just there.

There were several characters here so I understand that it was hard to do much in the way of character development, and some really did grow and change to some degree. Sadly there were a lot of characters that mostly only managed to annoy me. The male lead was especially confusing since he never seemed to solidify as a particular type but waver from several in any given episode. There were also lot of characters where they didn't tell you anything about them but just seemed to be there as background noise. There was almost no resolution in the interactions so the show really seemed to go nowhere.

Overall:

Sadly there were just too many issues with this title that I couldn't ignore or overlook, It's worth watching if you have nothing better to do but I still say try to find something more worth your time first. I couldn't help but feel lost half the time because a lot of these characters seemed to have background stories which they didn't share. I suspect this was based on a video game and that's where those stories are. This may be where the show failed as a whole since it didn't take into account that there were non-fans of that game watching without a clue as to what was going on. If I'm wrong, and there was no video game for this title, then the show was an epic failure and even less worth your time. :P

Other Anime Reviews by Otaku108

Recollections of a Certain Pilot

Akira user review by Otaku108

Akira

overall score: 8.5/10

comments

firewire167 avatar firewire167
Jun 23, 2011

There where supposed to be 3 more seasons of it. But the writer or director not sure witch died so they stopped the series.

RedCrossRobbery avatar RedCrossRobbery
Feb 18, 2011

I completely agree with you on this. I believe that this anime had alot going for it, but 24 episodes couldn't contain it for them. Plenty of animes can progress wonderfully through a small amount of episodes, but this show presented far to much material to be summed up in a couple of episodes. Perhaps a video game or manga adaptation would be better *shrugs*