Otaku108's avatar

• Austin, TX. USA
  • Joined Oct 2, 2007

Ghost in the Shell 2.0

May 26, 2010

I was a little disappointed though unsurprised that this really was just a remake of the original GitS movie, really some of it was a pointless CGI update, the original movie was outstanding as it was so the need for the remake is lost on me.

As anyone may already know due to it's popularity and longevity, the story and world is spectacular. It's engaging, dynamic, and keeps you wanting more when it's over. Whomever the writer(s) was/were they deserved awards for it.

Animation:

Again, the anime was of course top notch, there wasn't much you could argue about this title being bad considering it was years ahead of it's time in style, scope, and detail. There seemed to be a bit more boob action than I previously remembered but I probably just forgot. It wasn't too much so as not to detract from the actual imagery. Vehicle designs were as awesome as I remember them, and gave a sense of originality.

Sounds:

The musical score was incredible, almost eerie. Sounds were, as one should expect, perfectly suited and kept the flow well. Still, as always, this category holds very little significance to me.

All the major characters has a great depth to them and left you with the feeling that there was so much more to tell about them, little wonder that a TV series was eventually created about them. Little more can be said since development and growth aren't easy to pull off in a movie.

Overall:

It's little wonder that I enjoyed this movie since I loved the first one so much along with the TV series and even it's sequel movie to a lesser degree. I was left a little disappointed, as I said at the beginning, that this wasn't an original movie but just a remake since I read almost nothing about it. Just saw GitS and went "must watch *drool*", probably makes me a fanboy but who cares.

If you like GitS then there's no reason not to watch this movie, even if you've seen the original. Basically you could say this was a "digital remastering" with deleted scenes put back in. Really there was nothing different about it according to my memory but that's a rather faulty device these days. Watch it, period.

Funkgun says...

I will say that the sound, and CG looked better, but your right, for the most part there was nothing added.  I guess you can not really improve a masterpiece.

May 26, 2010