Otaku108

Uninhabited Planet Survive

23 MAY
2010

There's not a lot I want to say about UPS that one couldn't figure out on it's first or second episode. This show was obviously targeted towards younger people, probably the exact age as those portrayed, little wonder. On the surface you have 7 pre-teen to teen-aged kids stranded on a planet filled with hostile flora and fauna. Underneath you get a coming of age and friendship story of some quality. For someone my age, it's wholly forgettable, for someone around their young teen years, could be an awesome anime.

It's the future, earth is no longer habitable, humans have populated many other planets in the form of domes while trying to terraform these planets into hospitable worlds. As stated before the story revolves around several kids that manage to strand themselves on a deadly and unknown planet. The story is so structured as to give you each character a chance to delve into their past, and grow past their flaws. Some take longer than others but this is essentially the basis of the whole anime all while trying to send for help or help themselves off the planet.

Animation:

For the most part the animation was decent, especially for it's age. They put a lot of work into the main area's that the story takes place in and each scene design was nice to look at. The characters were also each unique against each other but nothing you hadn't seen before in other anime.

Sounds:

These got annoying at times, it was very canned, meaning that when there was danger there was one sound loop, when it was happy times there was one sound loop, when ... you get the idea, each time there was something going on there was a specific sound bite they looped to give a certain "atmosphere". It got old, and annoying fast, I tried to just ignore it so eventually it became background noise.

Another run of the mill section, each archetype was pretty much used here. Tsundere class leader girl, arrogant rich boy, brainiac boy good with gadgets,... you could almost just take one look at them and tell what they were gonna be like. At least they did grow and develop through out the show.

Overall:

Like I said to begin with, this wasn't really something for someone my age and experience to really sink my teeth into, if I were half my age I -might- have enjoyed it more. All told, this was an average anime with an average amount of worthy time spent on it. It felt a bit long towards the end and I was expecting a bit more in it's final episode after all that but it could have been much much worse.

In the end, I'd really only recommend this to people that really really like survival style anime and don't mind a slightly juvenile theme mixed in.

Other Anime Reviews by Otaku108