Omurqi's avatar

• Netherlands
  • Joined Feb 6, 2009

Hoshizora Kiseki

Jan 3, 2010

A lightly melancholic show with bits of astronomy and romance as main themes, that’s how I’d describe Hoshizora Kiseki. It’s a calmly paced, 27 minute short web episode with quite a decent story for such a short time span. It has a high “Shinkai”-feel to it (the director of Voices of a Distant Star, The Place Promised In Our Early Days and others), but only lightly evokes human emotion in the viewer, something that fitted this particularly story well.

The animation was, to me, surprisingly good for a single-episode web anime, and that isn’t saying all too much. It is pleasant to watch, but it is also easy to see this was made on a low budget. Luckily, they put the extra effort in where it contributed the most. Most of the scenery is of considerably higher quality than the rest of this anime, giving it a feeling of quality while keeping the budget low.

Music in this show is mostly absent, and the few times something plays on the background, it’s something light and forgettable. Other than saying that the voice acting was good enough, there isn’t anything to address if it comes to sound.

Overall, Koshizora Kiseki is a short, calmly paced story about the stars, melancholy and finding each other (wait, where have I heard this before >_>). Although it is something I’m recommending to those who like short, lightly melancholic shows, it’s not amongst the better in the genre. Your 27 minutes won’t be wasted, but could be spend watching something better, like Voices of a Distant Star.

6.8/10 overall