Omurqi

Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone

16 OCT
2009

As the "average to good" score suggests, this movie is exactly what I expected it to be, a rewatch of the original series, albeit a bit rushed. This was especially noticable and painful in the first ten-or-so minutes of the movie, in which Shinji gets picked up by Misato, and within those first ten minutes Shinji is already characteristically whining in front of his Eva model. I was seriously questioning the title at this point, thinking they might've just put the entire series in one movie seeing the pace they were moving in.

The rest of the movie however didn't feel nearly as rushed. They have, as expected, left out and sped up most of the scenes, especially the non-combat ones, but the pace felt just right for a movie. There's very little else to talk about, assuming most people who will watch this have already seen the series. It's a Scifi / Mecha with Psychological and Drama-ish vibes. The story follows Shinji, a mentally unstable 14 year old boy, and how he deals with piloting his "robot" under his fathers command in order to protect the world from the "Angels".

On to the animation. First of all, kudos to them for upgrading the quality of the animation to be completely acceptable to the 2009 norm, while altering completely nothing on any of the designs (be it the backgrounds, characters, mechanics, Eva's). If the feeling the movie had would be any different from the series because of the animation, it would've fallen flat on its face. I was most impressed by the way they animated to mechanics, especially those on the surface of Tokyo-3, other than that, everything just felt on its place and reminded me of the original series.

The sound used wasn't anything special. The theme songs were good, as expected, and the music used during the fight scenes were fitting, although nothing special.

Keep in mind that I was not a huge fan of the original Evangelion to begin with (thought it was enjoyable, but nothing groundbreaking, rated it 3.5/5). Fans of the original will undoubtably love this remake. I also was quite surprised at the preview shown after the credits. It seems the second "remake" movie won't be much of a copy at all, but rather a whole new adaption of the story with up to 6(?) Eva's and their pilots appearing. So yes, I'm curious what the second movie will turn out to be.

Other Anime Reviews by Omurqi