Omurqi

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou: Quiet Country Cafe

12 JAN
2010

It’s strange, although Quiet Country Cafe and its prequel don’t have much difference in storytelling, animation and characters, I enjoyed this OVA a whole lot more than its predecessor.

The story follows Alpha, an android looking and acting exactly like a regular human, around as she lives her life in and around her café in the Japanese countryside. Its way of storytelling is very tranquil and slow-paced, with lots of focus on scenery and emphasis on very normal emotions of peace, minor worries and slight happiness. It’s something I normally find very soothing to watch, but somehow didn’t quite work for me in the previous OVA, where the absence of music was painful in the endless sequences of landscape-shots and still character close-ups.

This time around however, be it because my state of mind was more suited for it, the music was used where it mattered or that the story was just slightly more interesting, I got the full package of great tranquility this title has to offer. It’s still nothing awe-inspiring, but definitely something I’d recommend to those looking for a slow-paced beauty to calm down with.

Other Anime Reviews by Omurqi