Omurqi's avatar

Omurqi

• Netherlands
  • Joined Feb 6, 2009

I wanted to like it, I really did. I was expecting a combination of a fun, yet soothing story, a scenic setting and lots of fitting, calming music. Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou only managed to get the scenery part right, and just barely.

Story wise, there isn’t all too much going on. I’ll try to get it across as exciting as possible.

In future Japan, android technology has advanced so far that robots now have their own personality and will. Here comes our heroine, an undercover Alpha-android who infiltrated a peaceful countryside village near Mt. Fuji. Are you kidding me? This shit is like fucking Terminator! Just… without all the action and excitement and with goodwill and scenery instead…

Alright, I’ll cut the crap. But honestly, there isn’t anything to talk about if it comes to the story. You follow Alpha around all day as she makes coffee for customers who won’t come, and has small conversations with the old man next door every now and then. At least half the show is filled with barrages of scenery shots without any music playing.

The animation-section holds pretty much the only redeeming quality this show has, and it’s not even excellent at that. The scenery is quite okay. Nothing awe-inspiring, but it does the job. The rest of the animation has the same kind of “yeah, it works” feel to it. It’s not all very detailed, but it has its charm.

On to the biggest lackluster of the show, sound. In a slow-paced story where scenic shots are the focus, music has to be near-perfect to make it happen. THEY DIDN’T EVEN TRY! I could’ve done without an OP or ED, but at the very least input some kind of music in the multi-minute sequences of landscapes and greenery. Fair enough, the music that was used worked pretty well, but it was almost non-existent.

Overall, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou isn’t worth recommending to anyone. If you want a soothing, scenic story, it’s been done better elsewhere, and actually with music. If anything, this show is good at making you sleepy. I’m someone with quite bad sleeping problems, and I nearly fell asleep not once, but up to 5 times each episode while watching this, that’s a first, praise worthy.

Final note: The second OVA, “Quiet Country Cafe”, which I’m halfway through right now, is a big leap forward in quality. There is fitting music where it counts and the story isn’t as dull. It’s still more of the same, but done a whole lot better.

HarryNRubin says...

When you  say you weanted to like it, you are stating the same feeling I experienced when watching this OVA.  As the highest reccomended anime from Aria the Animation, I was expected something more, but this anime is simply over too fast and unremarkable.

Oct 18, 2010