default avatar

NoSeR

• Joined Aug 12, 2011

First Look - Let me tell you, after watching the season final of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood than reading about the message at the end and finding out there was going to be a movie, I was super exicted. I couldn't wait for it and I immediatly looked up info in anticipation since I'm like the bigest fanboy of the entire existance of Fullmetal Alchemist. After a few months and rewatching both anime multiple times I find out it will conclude Brotherhood and be made by Bones. So I was really hoping too see characters like Olivier and Ling Yao and more of the cast from later in the series. But after reading some more it turned out that it wouldn't exactly be a conclusion, but more like a side story ealier in the anime and that it would introduce brand new characters. So that hurt the chances of having a large cast of characters that I already loved =\ So I finally watched a while ago and here are my thoughts.

Story - Hiromu Arakawa didn't write the story so you know it isn't going be as good as the her actual story of FMA. But I definitely think Bones did a great job with the pacing and what they kind of story they were trying to tell. I would have like more individual fights towards the end, like maybe the bad guys had some henchman that Roy and Riza could have fought. But that was just me wanting to see more of them. I kind of predicted things, but they were obvious things that are done in pretty much every show in existance. I liked Julia's back story and the stories of all the new character and thought the story was told well. My only problem was that I didn't seem like it involved the actual FMA characters enough. Ed and Al are the stars and there were kind of just there. Honestly I would have liked it better if maybe the movie focused on a few characters in the actual manga and anime that still had a story to be told. There could have easily been a stand alone movie with a different title. But overall I watched it all the way through without even questioning the story. So I give it an 8.5.

Animation - The only complaint I had before actually watching the anime was the actual character designs. They looked a bit cartoony for what the anime and manga series gave us. But when I got into watching I got used to it and sucked it up since honestly it wasn't that bad anyways. The fights looked a bit weird but other than that it was fine. I'm not one to complain about the actual animation so I'll give it a 9.

Music - One thing that Bones did absolutly right in both anime series, especially Brotherhood, was the music. You felt so much emotion just by hearing it and it could quickly change your mood just by a simple scene transition. And I still loved the music in this movie. A perfect 10!

Characters - The main reason why I loved the manga and Brotherhood was the characters. I loved every single characer (good guys). And that's where the complaint comes in. I really wished the anime could have focused on the original characters more than the new characters. Even though I liked them I didn't absolutely love them. I wanted more Roy and his humor was just there to fix Ed's automail torwards the end so she was useless in the anime, and I hate to actually say too. But since that is more of a personal complaint I can't be too harsh. I give the characters an 8.

8.5/10 story