NicoNicoDesu's avatar

• Joined Jul 1, 2012
  • ? / F

Code:Breaker

Dec 2, 2012

I started watching this anime later than most of the other fall 2012 ones, but fear not! I shall update as I catch up!

Story: While nothing we haven't heard before, "Code:Breaker" breaks the generic shounen mold by making the lead a girl. Whoopdeedoo, what a concept!

Bitchmeister Sakurakouji Sakura (what kind of a name is that?) is adored by all, but is nonchalant about this and just goes on with life. That it, until she sees a boy burn to death a few men. Instead of running for the hills like she should, she swears to stalk this boy (who just so happens to now go to her school) and stop him from killing anyone else. (Of course, he still kills plenty of people, but now he has a popular girl following him around like a puppy.)

Speaking of puppies, Sakura feeds this one dog because its owner died. She goes to the park and ends up surrounded by a bunch of guys and blah blah blah, stuff happens and Oogami Rei (YAGAMI LIGHT WANNABE) saves her. Turns out, Oogami is a Code:Breaker, meaning he has cool powahz and can quote shtuff while emotionlessly murdering people. We meet more Code:Breakers and whatever, and yeah.

Say it with me: ORIGINAL.

This also suffers from what I am going to call "Potato Chip Syndrome." It tries to make every scene as epic and badass as possible (like the "I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!" scene in "Death Note"), thus hindering the actual impact (and it isn't nearly as funny nor as epic as either the potato chip scene or the actual anime of "Death Note").

Example:

Around episode six, the story starts getting more interesting, mostly because of a cliffhanger and new concept. The quality does not improve, but the entertainment value certainly does.

Animation: The budget must have been pretty low: Fight scenes are mediocre and the magic is generic. The characters look stiff, and some of the character designs are questionable. Sakura is a "pretty girl" with a large chest, Oogami's hair has to grow on you, etc. Overall, nothing special. (Oh, and there are plenty of bishounen with TINY eyes, in stark contrast to Sakura's eyes. Observe (pun not intended): -.- vs. O.O (every guy vs. every girl).

Sound: The OP doesn't have as much spunk as the OP of "Togainu no Chi" (another anime with an opening song by GRANRODEO), and the ED shows less life. As far as visuals go, it seems like half the budget was spent on the themes alone; they are the prettiest moments in the show. However, the bishie-fest ED might not appeal to some people. (Then again, this is basically just a bishie-fest show.) The insert music is varied to the point of ridiculousness. Cheery, upbeat j-pop is played during happy scenes, whereas much darker music is played at other points. The contrast is beyond jarring, and feels more like a "we tried" than a "we know how to create a coherent soundtrack."

Characters: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--

I'll try to find a picture later.

Sakurakouji Sakura: She has been cursed because of her name...

... Which of course makes her a complete Mary Sue bitch. I HATE Mary Sue characters, in case you didn't know. I DESPISE them. Sakura is no exception. Her constant "Don't kill him, Oogami! He's really a good person, even if he just killed 932974751320475 people by stabbing them and then hanging them from the ceiling!" ideals are crazy annoying, and she serves no purpose as a character. "Why, then," you may ask, "does Oogami not kill her?" That, good sir, is an excellent question with a simple answer--deus ex machina. The cliched plot device of "she's special, so I am unable to kill her" just reeks of BS, and it makes her even less likable.

Oogami Rei: He wants to be Yagami Light so bad that it's painful to watch. He quotes something (was it the Bible?) as his battle cry. His ruthless, slightly egoistic badass persona made me see a beacon of hope for this anime, but that light was smothered, beaten and drowned in the Pacific Ocean. It's quite obvious he nurses a soft spot for Sakura, but hates that he thinks that way. I think the creators intended for this to be hidden, but it couldn't be more obvious (maybe he's just tsundere).

Fugiwara Toki: He's your typical playboy--he's good-looking, flirtatious and charming. That, and he can manipulate magnetic fields. Yes, Toki is a Code:Breaker, and he joins Oogami and Sakura on their romps. In short, he is 100% fanservice, and 100% an archetype.

Tenpouin Yuuki: He often has his head in the clouds (both metaphorically and truthfully) and believes that Nyanmaru will save everyone, and that he is Nyanmaru. (By the way, Nyanmaru looks like an odd, animalistic portrayal of moe.) Actually, he is practically just moe.

Heike Masaomi: The first we see of this guy is when he's reading (aloud!) erotica in the school hallway. Other than that, he is a pretty stock character: He is certainly powerful, but it's a little confusing to try to find out where his loyalties lie.

Hitomi: The wonderful, fabulous, good-natured bastard of the series. As far as evil goes, he really isn't. Heck, he isn't even good as a villain! Villains going good or having been good can be a blessing or a curse. Hitomi is more of a curse. His backstory is tragic enough to let the fangirls not feel guilt by liking him, but not fleshed out enough to make his motives seem true.

Yukihina: He controls ice. He is stoic. I think he is Nyanmaru in disguise... no, he's just not a fleshed-out character at all.

Hachiouji Rui: The only female Code:Breaker, which is both good and bad. The good: There IS a female Code:Breaker. The bad: There is A female Code:Breaker. She doesn't do much (except for speaking one of the most badass lines ever), and is there mostly for the feminists. However, she unintentionally cosplays Celty from "Durarara!!" by riding a motorcycle and wielding a black scythe.

Since I haven't seen more of the anime, I'll cut this section short. I'll try to fill in more characters later, so be patient!

Overall: Judging from the very short episode list of this anime (13 episodes, I believe), it doesn't appear that many improvements will be made to this irritating "Death Note" wannabe.

4.5/10 story

Elementist says...

LOL...This review is hilarious.

Dec 5, 2013
Elementist says...

This is will be the first time that a review has actually convinced me to not watch a show.

Too bad that a show with such a cool name had an awful plot; well it sounds awful.

Dec 5, 2013
SoulE says...

"Potato Chip Syndrome"

Epic review. I tried to watch this but then I saw that the male characters were drawn to be pretty boys.

May 18, 2013