NicoNicoDesu's avatar

• Joined Jul 1, 2012
  • ? / F

11eyes

Jul 8, 2012

After hearing one of my favorite online reviewers worship this anime, I was practically tripping head over heels to watch it.

Also, since it is difficult to review this anime without spoiling, I will include spoilers; however, they will be marked. And this review may contain some language...

Story: "11eyes" starts off seeming like your typical slife-of-life: boy and girl are friends at school, but girl obviously is a little more friendly (cough cough wink) with boy. Satsuki Kakeru is said boy, and that girl is the little cutie-patootie named Minase Yuka. However, the story gets a bit weird when the moon (now an ominous black) does something, the world pulsates, and Kakeru and Yuka find themselves in a crimson world with giant ugly monster things (I'm talking about those bug-like blobs of goo). That's all I'm gonna say for your synopsis.

Now, the story is rather... um... unoriginal. It doesn't strike me as being very OMG WTF HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?!?!?, but rather as being more Oh... okay... cool. However, the story still manages to be pretty engaging, so let us continue with this review.

Animation: I'll go out and say it: the character designs are better than mediocre. They're a little generic, but fit the characters well (kind of...? maybe...? sorta kinda not really...?). Okay, so no, the really don't, but shut up. The red color palate for the "Red Nights" really fits the theme, though.

Who could forget those panty shots. Seriously, it's not like I'm watching H.O.T.D over here. I'm trying to watch a kickass action show. But, I tend to not mind ecchi, if it's done in a way which seems kind of plausible. But instead of showing most of the pantsu during the action scenes (which, while annoying, at least could easily happen), the team just opted to get the cameraman down onto the ground so that we'd see some pantsu while a girl just stood there. I'll mention some more ecchi later.

You know, for an action anime, the action scenes suck. The formula seems to be as follows: main character stands still. In the next shot, we see somebody fling some energy-thing at main character. Main character gets hit by thing, in NEXT FRIGGIN SHOT. Seriously! Sheesh.

Sound: Perhaps the high point of the anime. The OP and ED are both beautiful and quite fitting (however, they're kind of "acquired taste"-type songs). The voice actors do their jobs well. Every single one of them fits the character. However, that does not mean some were not annoying. Goto Mai, in particular, gives a fitting-but-high pitched voice to Yuka. There are no English VA so to speak. On the other hand, is anyone particularly wonderful? No.

Characters: Ho boy. I feel that "11eyes" is one of those shows which is really ruined by its characters ("think Neon Genesis Evangelion" or "Naruto"). Let me name some of them.

Satsuki Kakeru: Your typical main character-he wants to protect all his friends but isn't strong enough. He also gets pretty damn annoying by the end.

Minase Yuka: (THIS SECTION WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS!) I hate this b**** with a burning passion. Seriously though. In the beginning, she's just mildly annoying. By the end, though, we learn that she's a selfish b**** who also happens to be a slut. And everyone likes her. What is this I don't even- (END THOSE SPOILERS!)

Kusakabe Misuzu: The no-nonsense heir to the Kusakabe family (or whatever). I liked her almost motherly role to the group.

Hirohara Yukiko: (THIS SECTION WILL ALSO HAVE SPOILERS!) This fan-favorite's case of schizophrenia made for some of the best action in the series. However, her out-of-nowhere death shocked many viewers (not I, though. I already knew about it) and tears were shed on that fateful day. (END THOSE HATED SPOILERS!)

There are more characters, certainly. (And in my opinion, those characters are better.) But maybe I'll edit them in later.

Also, very little development occurs, and the characters' backstories were weakly written and, due to that pitfall, characters could not appear to me as being 3D.

Ending: (THIS WHOLE SECTION WILL BE SPOILER-Y!) I feel the need to include this. The awful ending got rid of one of the greatest things about this series (the creator had the balls to kill off his characters). Also, on a different note, there was a forced sex scene which made no sense and was for no reason. And also... well. Yuka, being the creator of that world (I don't know, either. It was never properly explained), was trapped in a crystal... wearing only a bra and panties. Talk about a sucky attempt to sneak in fanservice. (Oh yeah, and she tried to get Kakeru to sleep with her, wearing that exact same underwear.) Just to put it in a word... DAMMIT! (END THOSE SPOILERS, PLEASE!)

Overall: "11eyes" is a debatable series. Some people love it while others hate it. What truly ruined it for me was not the crappy action, was not the lack of character development, was not even the ending. It was Minase Yuka, the wonderchild whom I wanted to personally strangle about seventeen times. Even our hero, Kakeru, became annoying in the end. But no one could compare to Yuka. Actually, I would like to see a battle between her and Haruno Sakura (of "Naruto"). I want to see who dies in it. And then I will murder the person still living.

Edit: I am completely aware that my final score is not the average of all the scores; it makes sense, though. Characters truly do make-or-break an anime for me, and there were various other problems, too.

6.5/10 story