NarkyOtic's avatar

NarkyOtic

• Melbourne, Australia
  • Joined Feb 18, 2012

Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai

Meh. Not going to spend a whole lot of time dissecting this one; it's a series that some will love and others will not. My reasoning is pretty clear on why I wasn't overwhelmed by the viewing experience in this case...

Sharp animation, well-cast VAs, but was a bit like a threadbare rug by the end IMO.

The initial premise was interesting, as an Otaku theme it had a lot of potential, and I did see good things in this... but the sister-loves-dodgy-eroge thing was stretched to cracking point in every direction to maintain the image of cohesion, but the whole thing wore a little thin by the end. There wasn't enough substance in the story for me to boost my opnion, which was dragged down mostly by the main character, which is always going to be difficult to overcome in ratings rescues.

Basically, Kirino's dere wasn't enough to to complement her tsun. She was just an asshole 95% of the time, for mine. Yes, I saw a little development in her toward the end, but she got far too much for her shitty attitude. Also, her brother Kyousuke was a certifiable doormat, which one would make concessions for, if your only wish is to appease your moody, shallow bitch of a sister. However, he always did the beyond-right thing for her, and she didn't show me enough humanity for me to not take exception to her brother's extensive, near thankless efforts much of the time.

I did see that the writers attempted to acknowledge her ultra-overprivileged bullshit and emit grumblings about how she needs a kick up the rectum, but in the end, Kirino comes out smelling like daisies anyway; no lessons learned that would stick more than half an episode.

And the thing that clinched this at a 6.5/10 cap for me was the ending. The ending was bordering on the melodramatic; I mean, Kyousuke was that lonely without his relentless shit of a sister? Fair enough, I guess. But it didn't gel with me at all.

I was also a little disappointed that the interaction between Kuroneko and Kyousuke was never really given a chance to get off the ground... Instead, Kirino again hogged the drama to the last. To be honest, I think that interaction/story between Kyousuke and Kuroneko was deeper and had far more potential than any other in the whole series. Alas, I almost unwittingly found myself pinning hopes on that interaction blossoming to rescue the production, but I was setting myself up for (another) disappointment.

6.5/10 - generous score propped up by the good technical elements