Najaraja's avatar

• Georgia
  • Joined Feb 5, 2008

Witchblade

Oct 11, 2009

Masane Amaha only wants one thing:  to find a place where she and her daughter Rihoko can live in peace.  Ever since the catastrophic earthquake that left virtually sank Tokyo and left Amaha with no recollection of her past and a mysterious bracelet around her wrist, trouble seems to pursue them relentlessly.  Desperate for a job and with child wellfare hot on her heels, things are looking grim until Amaha meets two men who inform her that what she thought was merely a bracelet is actually a legendary weapon known only as the Witchblade, granting its wearer incredible power at a price.

Angry women in skimpy clothing who have the innate ability to kick your ass seems to be a staple plot line and sadly, Witchblade does not stray far from that standard.  I found myself more than once groaning inwardly as a potentially interesting plot development gave way to huge boobs battling each other.  Oops, I'm sorry.  I mean women with huge boobs battling each other.  Based on an American comic by the same name, the anime fastforwards to future Tokyo but the boobs...they remain.

Breast size aside, what I found particularly disappointing about Witchblade was that it shapes up to be an interesting story and collapses like a flan in a cupboard.  I blame the boobs.  Who is Amaha? When will she get her memories back? How is she connected with all this? Why did the Witchblade choose her? I found myself sincerely anticipating the answers to these questions.  Unfortunately, Witchblade is stingy in the information department.

The story seems to zigzag like a drunken horse who, every now and then, regains enough composure to jump over a hurdle only to start weaving back and forth again.  The end result is confusing, difficult to follow, and it goes without saying completely unbelievable.  Don't get me wrong.  I don't need a realistic story but there are more holes in this story than swiss cheese.  And so it is no wonder that the finish line seemed to rush towards me as though the writers were completely out of ideas by the end and, being out of time (and possibly money) said, "This seems like a good stoppiong point".

The character designs are sleek and sexy but are ruined by the ridiculously enormous breasts.  Not just Masana, but every woman here has a back-breaking set of jugs to the point where I experienced a sort of "Boobie Overload".  Too much of a good thing is a bad thing, guys.

Needless to say, the fanservice in Witchblade reaches damn near critical levels and I don't mean just the breasts.  Well, they count of course.  But the wardrobes in Witchblade are revealing and not just in the chest area.

The animation is not all that impressive and the fight scenes are cliche, short and boring.

Overall, Witchblade left me feeling a little disappointed as I often feel when a story has potential but falls short by several miles.  Witchblade gets a 4 out of 10 for effort, though.

Recommended Audience:  Older teens and up.  Witchblade is violent, the language is bad, and there are more than enough sexual connotations.  And there's enough fanservice to have otakus locked in their lairs for several weeks.  Not only that, but the big baddies prey on women (go figure) who die very grisly deaths 98% of the time.

GalacticFool says...

I think you are treating Witchblade somewhat unfairly in this review.  First of all, complaining about the boobs? Have you never read any of the comics?  Angry woman in a skimpy outfit who can kick your ass is what the comic is all about... in fact the success of the Witchblade comic was largely responsible, for better or for worse, for the whole "bad girl" craze in comics in the late 90's early 00's.

As for the rest, to me the story and the characters don't really start to get interesting until about halfway through the series.  The beginning is fairly lackluster, especially with its premise of Witchblade going out and kill a different woman-hating monster every episode... this gets dropped about 8-10 episodes into the series.  If you stick this one through you will find it is a much more rewarding experience than what you may expect just by watching the first volume.

Apr 3, 2010
Maxis4132 says...

Awesome review, sums it up quite succinctly.

Nov 28, 2009