Naga's avatar

Naga

• The Moon
  • Joined Feb 15, 2012

It’s quite hard to rate a comedy anime without a plot, mainly because there’s very little “general” things about it to base an ultimate judgment. This time around, it all comes down to personal preferences. Well, few things do. Lack of plot and development won’t be ignored at all.

As I’ve said; there is not plot. It’s all about Tomo tryharding to become popular, in most peculiar ways possible. It’s comedy… so I’m looking at it like this: I was entertained half of the time, and found the rest quite dull (which is in this rare case, my main base for rating) Comedy was also hit or miss. Sometimes I got a small chuckle, but rest of the time I was just shrugging. Every joke has a same punchline; it’s just about how we get to it. And after some time, it stopped being entertaining.

Sure, I’ll give them some credit for making Tomo likable enough for us to care a little, but despicable enough to laugh at her misfortune. It’s a tricky thing to pull off, and this one did it quite well. But of course, there’s no development, and as such, it loses most of the charm after a brief time. When I’m fed with the same thing over and over, I tend to detest it afterwards.

Some say it’s playing close to home, but that wasn’t the case with me. Many situations were too overblown for the sake of comedy and had very little realism, which made it impossible for me to find myself in Tomo’s skin.

OP was quite memorable, and general music and animation were fine. There were some good looking scenes that definitely stood out, so that’s also a plus, but I couldn’t say that for the music beside the OP. Design was pretty generic, with only fresh-looking thing being Tomo’s facial expressions that added a lot to her personality and that little characterization she had.

All in all: it depends on the taste in comedy. I found it meh, but I could see someone liking in way more, thus rating it higher. If you’re into some cringe worthy comedy, then you could try this one.

2.5/10 story