Naga's avatar

• The Moon
  • Joined Feb 15, 2012

The Flowers of Evil

Jul 4, 2013

Wherever you look around here opinions about this one differ to the point of having two opposed extreemes ; it's either a unique masterpiece or an ugly shit. There’s even a lot of peeps who coudln't stomach the rootscoping animation and ended up dropping it after only 1 episode. Eh. I won’t even go into that one.

I don’t really fall under any mentioned category. I think it was very good for what it is (self-exploration kind of drama-thingy), and that it looked and felt amazing at times, but it's nothing groundbreaking I’d hype for the rest of my days. It definitely stands out in the crowd, but not for the content itself but its controversial design, which wasn’t really my cup of tea. I liked the manga and got used to its generic design, and the new one failed to make an impression on me. But even so, I’m a fan of everything funky, unique and bizarre, so I’m not in position to complain about that one. I'm also all for experimental animation, but seeing how this one went it's clear that it backfires at times. But to say that it’s atrocious is a crime because anyone who followed Aku no Hana past episode 7 knows how mesmerizing the art is. I won’t lie, some scenes were gorgeus to the point of forever remembering them.

The content itself isn’t one of the strongest traits. When all is said and done, no one can deny that it’s about teenage sexual deviancy. I would lie if I told you that it’s only about that, but since it’s incomplete, it’s not offering much at this point. Sadly, there’s not much about the character either at this point. Kasuga is definitely standing out from everyone else, but that’s mostly because others didn’t get any noticable development. We’re more or less still in the process of meeting them properly. But one thing is certain: their personalities are well founded, and proper flashing makes even the side characters purposeful. And Kasuga is characterized so well that I wouldn’t be surprised if someone found himself in his shoes.

Music is nothing but amazing. It’s rich in content, its ED is one of the best things I’ve heard from this season, following music is atmospheric and fits well and everything else about it works like a charm. It really complements the show greatly and maybe even makes it a lot better than it actually is.

All in all: don’t be fooled by the low rating or people who are raging at the design. First off, it’s not as bad as people describe it, and secondly, the content is where it’s at. I didn’t like it as much as some did, but there’s a chance that you might find something about it that I couldn’t. Watch it.

Best girl: Nakamura