Naga

Hataraku Maou-sama!

3 JUL
2013

At the start I saw some potential. I think we all did. But sadly, nothing was done with anything throughout this fiasco. The premise sounds ridiculous to boot, but it’s quite common for premises of that type to surprise us the most. Sadly, this was not the case.

What this show really lacked was a conflict among the characters, or any sort of conflict at all. Or just plot. This thing we have here is mostly nothing, a dick tease to be exact. Hints of development are all over the place, but for some reason it never gets into a spotlight and in the end it just doesn’t deliver. Rather than doing that, the show decided to introduce us to the whole new verities of weird characters, who in majority ended up being a background decoration without development or much significance, and I won’t even go into how shallow our starting characters actually were. They are all charm, no depth. All of them! “I love Maou-sama, he is the greatest,” – is a beginning and the end of development of that unmemorable, demonic side kick that for some reason ended up being the funniest one. It is funny at times, I’ll give them that, but aside from that, this show offers very little in terms of charachterization.

Animation and music were just fine. Design is generic, and the music, including OP and ED, is forgettable. Not one OST really stands out. The whole soundtrack is very poor in content, and looking at the other shows of the season, it seems like they didn’t even put much effort into it.

All in all: it’s skippable. It’s not coherent. It’s not even complete, apparently. It’s not memorable. Jeez. There’s just nothing about this show except for few good laughs. What a shame.

Best girl: Chiho’s boobs

Other Anime Reviews by Naga

Death Billiards user review by Naga

Death Billiards

overall score: 5.5/10

comments

Aggelos avatar Aggelos
Nov 1, 2013

It's been a while since last time I watched anything and decided to give this one a try. Perhaps it was because I had zero expectations from it that I ended up enjoying it so much! Don't get me wrong, your review is spot on, there is practically no plot and no character development but calling it skippable is a shame cause I think many people could get a few good laughs out of it.

Couwcouw avatar Couwcouw
Aug 25, 2013

Before Blood lad get out I was saying to people to watch that because of the story of a Deamon King in the world of human but now... I can only agree with your review, but still suggestion to watch some episode just for the fun it has. :)

jiropracter avatar jiropracter
Aug 23, 2013

I agree with this concise and cohesive review. Well written good sir/madam.