Naga

Kyousougiga

4 JUN
2013

I’ve seen quite a number of mad anime, but not that many who are mad as this one. Kyousogiga, as many of his peers (such as FLCL, Dead Leaves), managed to achieve an absolute brilliance in entertainment.

It has everything this kind of anime should have: fast pacing, bizarre looking world and very erratic storytelling. The story itself is quite rich for the amount of time that the show had, minding that most of it was scattered pretty much everywhere, and there wasn’t a clear patter that could combine it into something we could consider a ‘bigger picture’. Rather than doing that, Kyousogiga decided to info dumb in every single corner, no matter how useless or incoherent the information was. I’m not even sure what should I think of the world building. In on hand, the world is very interesting, unique and pretty, and I’d just love too see more of it, but on the other hand, it’s still incoherent because of a lack of a true begging or finale to this story. The world just leaves us puzzled and leaves us to question its abstract origin, but sadly the context doesn’t provide us with anything remotely plausible from what we could infer from, so even if we tired to come up with something logical, we’d still bump into a wall from all the misplacement of information.

The characters are on the same level of madness the story is on. They are all shallow and without enough context or personality traits, but at the same time they all managed to look as lively as possible, which in the end complemented a lot to the whole feeling of this show. The show just feels incoherent and random, and at the same time it feels like there’s just a one big mystery shrouding everything. Even so, without any clear ending it’s only logical to assume that they don’t even plan to explore this world any further. With that said, I’ve seen the 2012 version and I can vouch that the world building and the purpose of this whole fiasco were not even touched… that much, at least. There was still a word about some rabbits, but the show doesn’t make much of an impact for us to want to explore it more, and doesn’t look like it’s trying to tell us something important through this whole madness. To me it just looks like it’s made for us to have fun, and I appreciate it in a way, but at the same time I wouldn’t mind if it tried to present itself as an analogy for something like Alice in Wonderland did.

The last thing I want to say is that the animation looked and felt wonderful. The designs were funky and lively, and the flow of the animation was very pretty to look at. The music was pretty solid as well, so there’s just nothing wrong with technical department.

If you’re looking for something abstract and fun… there’s a lot of other anime who do it better… but this is still one of those shorts that are by no means a waste of your time, even if it’s just because of the immense amount of fun it provides.

Best girl: Koto