Naga's avatar

Naga

• The Moon
  • Joined Feb 15, 2012

First thing that I had in mind when diving into Hyouka was the fact that it was made by KyotoAni, the company that spawned more moeblobs than any other studio out there, and believe it or not, I’m not a big fan of moe. Combine that with the detective genre that I don’t dig that much and we get something I’m destined to hate or at least dislike… I’ve never been so wrong.

Hyouka may seem like your typical KyotoAni anime that will try to captivate you with its “fluffy” assets, but that was not the case, at least not with me. Oreki was everything (all it took for KyotoAni to make something good was to add male lead… shocking, I know). From the moment that guy took a casual stroll to his new school and had his first monologue about his general disinterest in his daily life I was intrigued, not because of that theme alone, tbh it is overused in slice of life department, but because of the way his every thought was narrated and the way it actually blended with his personality and made it look so damn realistic. Yes. Hyouka is quite realistic, and sometimes even too much. If you can remember one anime where something that appeared to be a huge drama was resolved with a casual chat with a very serious tone, then name it? In case you can’t… I’m not even surprised. It was a shocker to me as well, but Hyouka has that sort of things, believe me on that.

The point of Hyouka is not the mystery, it’s about that guy Oreki and three other, surprisingly memorable characters and their subtle, yet well founded progress - the best kind of slice of life. Even so, there were some mysteries along the way, some better than the others, but nothing breath taking. And then, the animation. *gasp* So fluid, so much motion, so much artsy scenes… but very generic, already overused design… oh, KyotoAni. Did I mention that Hyouka was the only school life anime that actually gave off a dynamic atmosphere of a real school life? Hmmm. Anyways, music, constructed of some old pieces along with some casual background music, was pretty solid. All in all, Hyouka did some really good things along the way, and I like how it all turned out, but what I really liked was its subtlety in everything… and the ending, oh, that was just icing on the cake. It might not be the best in what it does, but it’s quite memorable and it’s definitely worth the shot even if you’re not a fan of already mentioned.

Best girl: Chitanda