MugenNeS

Sengoku Basara Two

17 JAN
2011

After the demise of Nobunaga a new foe arrives on the scene and he's big, he's bad and he;s an ape... oh wait, I mean Toyotomi. He makes his presence known from the very first episode. Staying true to most of the story set back in history, Sengoku Basara Ni still doesn't disappoint. This time around though it's a bit more serious as the story revolves around old bonds between friends that have died, and of course some strange alliances. We'll get to that later thought, here it is your moment of Zen...

The story actually seemed a tad bit different this time around, with no real selling point. It seemed kind of dull at the moment, but then picks up after the first 5 episodes. It was surprising to see that Keiji got a nice leading role this time around to tell the tale of an old friend whom he have to face sometime sooner or later. Of course though something did get to me towards the end of this season that really bugged me... didn't Tokugawa die or am I bugging out. I'll have to re-watch season one to be sure. Anyway, the bonds that made season one were also noticeably gone this time around make it seem at first that it was every man for himself, but then new alliances form and well, things just seemed to make sense if you're like me and pay attention to detail. There at least, this time around was a very nice original spin to things, but there seemed to be something missing, just can't put my finger on it.

The animation was way better, to me anyway, in this season than in the first. You got the sense of more emotion from the battles this time around than in season one. Better lighting, and structure, nothing felt rushed or overdone.

Once again a killer soundtrack with great ambiance and deeper tones. I was actually happy that they didn't go with the "lets just recycle" theory that a ton of series have been doing for a while now.

Ah, yes, the selling point to this series, the characters. Following up nicely after season one, season two did not disappoint, but rather upped the ante and did an awesome job of bringing characters to life, while giving them more emotion and drive as well as a purpose. Each character with their own agenda. I won't hit you with any spoilers but you'll understand what I mean once you get to the midway point of season two.

Overall Sengoku Basara Ni gets and 8.5/10. A 9/10 still felt too strong to me only because I guess I was looking for something more in terms of story. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers lol. Ooh and there's a movie scheduled to come out this year, which should be surprisingly good.

Other Anime Reviews by MugenNeS