MugenNeS's avatar

• Somewhere in space...
  • Joined Oct 7, 2009

School Days

Jan 11, 2011

Despite what you might have read already from previous posts, I'm here to tell you about a psychological drama that will leave you thinking a whole lot about being "one of those guys" as my sister puts it. Yes, we can sit here and argue that it has elements of harem, and romance, but the reality is, it's none of those if you actually pay attention to the story. Anyway here it is your moment of Zen. I'll try not to post any spoilers for those who haven't seen this yet. Keep in mind I did say try. Moving on...

I'm going to get the animation and sound out the way now, cause that's not what drew me into this particular Anime. Both are mediocre at best. Nothing really special, since everything felt in place to some extent.

Now onto what I really want to discuss. First I'll start with the characters. Each portraying a wonderful mixture of emotion and story to the mix of our main character Itou Makoto. He plays both the protagonist and antagonist in my opinion, only because of his take on how to deal with women. I will state this much, treat women with cruelty and you'll get it back ten fold. Trust me, I've seen it. Sorry for veering off. So, you have Itou Makoto, Katsura Kotonoha, and Sekai Saionji who get into this love triangle which then gets spread out into a complete... well lets just say mess. Then to make matters even worse, Itou gets himself into even more trouble than what its worth by allowing himself to continue on his emotional destructive path which in the end... well you'll just have to see it for yourself. Which in turn leads us to the story.

The story itself starts off, as I stated as a love triangle, but then turns into a complete emotional drama mixed with Itou getting laid more than Ron Jeremy before he hit puberty. Sorry for the bad analogy, couldn't think of anything else... lack of sleep. Anyway, after a few episodes of Itou and Katsura seemingly dating, and him making the mistake of saying that they are lovers, he ends up shacking up with Sekai, and a few other female characters later in the story. One of those women being a girl he went to Junior High School with named, Otome Katou. He then get recognized as the "man" and almost every girl in his class as well as in another want a piece of him, sexually. The end result being that he hurts Katsura in the worst way, and ends up getting Sekai pregnant after their little "experimentations". He does his best to avoid the issue by playing the dumb tough guy act, but then gets... well you'll have to see how it turns out.

Now many of you might be wondering, why an 8.5 out of 10. Well again the story and characters really sold this show. While the animation was nicely done, the sound could have been better, although I did like the opening and ending theme songs. If you're into psychological drama's or just drama period then this anime is a nice choice. Personally, I'd say it's worth a buy to add to your collection if you're into a good story that has a nice twist at the end. Yeah, it can be argued that an 8.5 seems strong, but it took a great deal out of me not to. Well onto the next show.