MrShadowzs's avatar

• LaLa Land
  • Joined Aug 21, 2009

Gosick

Jul 9, 2011

The story takes place in 1924 in a fake European country, where our main character Kujo, a Japanese transfer student, has just arrived at an elite academy. But because of his black hair and eyes people call his “The black Reaper” much to his dismay everyone is afraid. So one day Kujo is in the library when he meets Victorique, a short girl with long blond hair, who spends her days reading and solving mysteries for her detective brother Grevil. Hmmmm, a misunderstood boy everyone thinks is a punk, a short tsundere whose father is an asshole, and there misadventures together, sound familiar, well it should, it’s Toradora in Victorian England with mysteries. Okay that might be going a little far but the similarities are odd. So the story fallows around Kujo and Victorique as they solve mysteries, and if the thought of a gothic loli, tsundere Sherlock Holmes tickles your fancy, well you can stop reading and just go watch the show now, haha just kidding, because around the half way point shit hit the fan and the show gets ummmm strange. I honestly don’t know how to feel about this show, the first half was AMAZING, the mysteries were mysterious, the romance between Kujo and Victorique was there but it was subtle enough to have you wanting more. But then the whole thing with the Ministry of the Occult and the Science Academy and the second war and AHHHHHH, not to say that the second half was bad, it’s just uhhhhh, I don’t know, I honestly just don’t know, it just felt like I was watching a spin off of Gosick, instead of Gosick. It also felt somewhat rushed; I think a third season would have done this show good. But despite all of this it was still and enjoyable, and it’s definitely a unique story, so take that how you like it.

It was done by Bones, what more do I need to say. Bones was the reason I watched the show in the first place. So yeah beautiful animation blah blah blah

I didn’t notice the soundtrack AT ALL, and that is not a good thing. There are soundtrack that blend so well that you almost forget they’re there but then you find yourself later being like “Oh yeah this song was in that scene”. Gosicks soundtrack on the other hand is one that is just completely forgettable and not really worth mentioning. The voice acting was nice, but what isn’t these days.

As I already said Kujo and Victorique are basically the European versions of Ryuuji and Taiga respectively. Except that Victorique is a lot smarter than Taiga, so there’s that. Really thou I did like all of the characters, Victorique was really good, with a tragic back story and a goal to achieve. One of my favorite characters was Grevil, Victoriques half brother, mostly because of the hair(which they actually explain why he wears his hair like that, which surprised me), but also because he does have some comic relief, but something serious needs to be said or done, he’s ready to do that too. On the other hand Marquis (Victoriques father) is a huge ass, which I still don’t understand quite why he’s such an ass, even if they did explain it. But all in all good characters, oh you want to know more about Kujo; well to bad cause he doesn’t get as much characterization as the rest of the cast so sucks for you.

All in all, good show with some good mysteries, even if it does go off the deep end a little near the end, it didn’t entirely kill the show for me, it was close, but maybe that’s just me.

7.2/10 overall