MrShadowzs's avatar

• LaLa Land
  • Joined Aug 21, 2009

Durarara!!

Jun 18, 2011

Ahhhh Durarara, lets get this out of the way first, no this is not Baccano, and really it tries to be (I think there was a Baccano reference every other episode, and even a crossover), but the fact that it's trying to be its older brother doesn't hinder it that much. One of the main reasons this show get compared to Baccano is that it not only was done by the some studio, but it also just happens to based on the light novels that were written by the same guy who wrote the Baccano light novels. Now with that out of the way on with the review.

Durarara is set in the city of Ikebukuro, where we meet our main protagonist Mikado Ryūgamine, who has just moved to the big city from the country side. He is met by his best friend Kida Masaomi. Kida shows him around town and that when he learns about the dollars, a gang that has no color or rules and are feared in Ikebukuro, and then he sees The Black Rider a transporter that is rumored to have no head. So anyway they go to school and meet Anri Sonohara, a quite pretty girl and they become friends and it your typical love triangle blah blah blah OR IS IT. The thing about Durarara is that it likes to make you think that it's not really going anywhere with it's plot and it usually does...and sometimes it really doesn't go anywhere, which is a big problem I had. Okay example time, so the main "bad guy" (even tough he helps people sometimes, but really is kind of a dick) is Izaya Orihara, an info broker who stole the black riders head and is trying to create war in the city so the head will awaken. Does he create war, yes, do we know what the hell happened to the head, nope. This pissed me off since they painted it as something that was really important, just to end the show without saying anymore on it, yeah I’m sure something happens in the novels, but yeah not licensed in America yet so what am I supposed to do. Really tough that was the only thing I had wrong with the story, the rest it pretty solid, not amazing, but definitely above the norm. This is really help that all the characters have good personalities.

Yeah it's pretty good not really much to say, nothing really to bag on, but noting too super special awesome, it does its job and it does it well...moving on.

The soundtrack is pretty good (I mean it was good enough for me to have a desire to own it), but really other than a few tracks, it fits the mood but it's mostly forgettable. Now the voice acting is very nice in this show. I personally watched the whole thing Dubbed and its cast consists of  Johnny Yong Bosch as the devilish Isaya Orihara, Kari Wahlgren as Celty Sturluson, and Michelle Ruff as Anri Sonohara. Kida and Mikado are played by two guys I’ve personally never heard of, Bryce Papenbrook and Darrel Guilbeau, while Mr.Guilbeau was so so, I really liked Mr.Papenbrook as Kida, a young, snarky, punk, ladies man. Over all the cast was really good, oh and Crispen Freemen is in it, yeah I that just made this show 10x better.

This is probably (like Baccano) is one of the high points of this show, all the characters are well fleshed out and have good back stories, with a few exceptions. I, again, don't fell like they spent enough time on Isaya Orihara, he was supposed to be the villain yet they really don't address him as I think they should have. Oh also to be honest Mikado is kind of, ummm how do I this, bland. Mainly your cookie cutter main protagonist that’s not all he appears to be, but honestly I thought that worked for this show because the real main character is the city itself and all of its secrets and how the city can change people. Also a brief mention of Shizuo Heiwajima, mostly because he's complete badass and is voiced by Crispen Freemen, that is all.

In conclusion, if you liked Baccano then you will like this show. If you didn't like Baccano what the hell is wrong with you. If you never saw Baccon you should, wait what anime am I reviewing again? Anyway this is a good show and you should watch it if you like this kind of thing.