Moparty's avatar

Moparty

• Joined Jun 23, 2013

Nodame Cantabile

Aug 30, 2013

Review is solely opinion so please don't hate

STORY: 7.5

The story is fresh and original. You will never encounter an anime absolutely like this. It is truly one of a kind. The relationship aspect of the story moves a bit slow but its a nice slow pace that doesn't anger you but may not have you intrigued either. The focus is mostly on the music in the anime but you can't help but feel left out when you watch this anime. As soon as you're finished, you aspire to play an instrument but reality is not as easy as it seems. The overall moral of "follow your dreams" has been experimented with many times before but this was a fresh and enjoyable take on it.

ANIMATION: 8

The animation is refreshing. The overall goofiness and rather serious moments all fit well with the animation. The animation doesn't hinder the anime at all and it's easy on the eyes. It doesn't enhance the anime too much and after you watch it you won't be blown away. It's textures and background settings may not be as extravagant but they still pull you in the setting.

SOUND: 9

The sound is what ultimately makes this anime great. People who play instruments or actually listen and analyze classical music may not like the sound mixing as much, but I ended up enjoying it nevertheless. Nodame Cantabile introduced me to classical music and I would not have grown into the genre without it. The op is a happy tune that I often can't ignore. This is one of the op's that I usually would not skip because it was a good song to listen to and really set me in the mood. The ending song is fantastic as well. The break into the song is refreshing and often times I would sing the first few words along with it. It has a very Disney esque feel to it that fills you up with warmth. And I can never forget that beaver walking on the rainbow wheel.

CHARACTERS: 9

The characters are very interesting. The whole focus is on Nodame and Chiaki. Nodame is a fun soul and its often hard to hate her. And although Chiaki may be blunt and a bit strict and bold, he is still very lovable in a way. The chemistry between Nodame and Chiaki are interesting and fun to watch. The side characters all set the mood very well and bring out the best in the main two. So much depth gets put into Chiaki and Nodame to the point where it is really hard to forget about them.

OVERALL: 8.375

This is a fun anime to watch and although classical music may not be your jam, you should still try this anime out. The romance, drama, and comedy all melt together pretty well and I hardly ever complained when watching this. The music pulls you in and you find a new found love in classical music. This anime is very intriguing and keeps you wanting more after every episode. This anime was a joy to watch and I would definitely recommend the avid anime watcher to watch this anime.

7.5/10 story