MisyRose's avatar

• ? / F

Black Haze

Sep 5, 2013

EDITED 18/7/14

Black Haze is an interesting webtoon. It's, from what I hear, a challenge webtoon on Naver not an 'official' one and you can really tell just from the first chapter. The awkwardness of the first few chapters and really everything in general didn't draw me in and I had actually considered dropping it. However it does hit its stride around the 11th chapter and got better every single following one until I can safely say this is one of my most anticipated webtoons to read.

I must first of all state that the art isn't the best. There are worse styles out there but this is slightly bad, especially at the beginning. It's not that it has gotten dramatically better in the recent chapters but I probably just got used to it and don't notice it as much now. It's just the way some panels have sometimes distorted faces and bodies; most notably the first closeup of one particular character. There are times when I wonder why the artist chose that particular angle because all the features of that character looks weird and some birds-eye view of characters...well, what can I say? The artist probably doesn't have experience with drawing people at certain positions but that is always solved with experience and I expect they would improve as they continue with this.

Plus, while I do love the webtoon, I have to admit it hasn't the most original plot in the beginning. In fact, I can sum it up in one sentence: a way OP boy goes to school because of a mission to befriend another boy. While I don't want to spoil anything, I can say thankfully something greater is involved.

Now, what it excels in is its characters; or rather, its main character. He is just so sassy and calculative and just all round awesome. Bar none one of my favourite characters ever. But, honestly, I never got invested in him until approximately the 11th chapter. Can you see the trend now? Haha. Until that chapter he was just an boringly perfect OP character who just wasn't compelling or charismatic in any way or form. But then that chapter arrived and he just flourished. I'm not sure what had happened to the author but man I am glad for it.

The humour at first was quite contrived and forced and while I did quirk a smile every now and then, I wasn't impressed with his attempt with comedy. And then the 11th chapter and the following chapters. You guessed it, it also dramatically improved. And most of the comedy came from the main, so you can see the connection there.

Overall Black Haze has a lot of potential and I look forward to seeing its progress to hopefully becoming an 'offical' webtoon! I recommend everyone to read it!

lsabells says...

Haha I completely agree about the main character! I was iffy about him at first too. Like, rly? So OP whyyyy! But then his OPness became strangely balanced, and his personality had a chance to just...kaboom. Sassy, yes. Calculative, oh yeah. And funny. Haha. I love the character development of the other characters too.

Apr 3, 2014