Merryberry's avatar

Merryberry

• UK
  • Joined May 27, 2008

Intro...

Nodame Cantabile: Finale brings about the end of story of Chiaki and Nodame.  Having each had various successes in their lives, they finally have to work out just how they are going to go on in life.

Story: 8.5

It's unique and lovely to find that the Nodame Cantabile storyline still runs true throughout these final 11 episodes.  While it has the true entertaining factor that we've come to love from these series, it does however appear to run out of steam and wraps the story up in such a way that you really feel as though you've been cheated out of what you were expecting.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but it seemed as though the brilliant inspirative storyline which filled the first season completely had finally come to a somewhat disappointing end.  It's only because of the strenght of the previous series that I feel somewhat obligated to give this nothing less than an 8.5.

Animation: 9.5

The animation quality is gorgeous and the same consistant style of artwork and scenery is present throughout.  Throw in the best musical playing animation ever and it really puts the feather in the cap.  My only disappointment was that they didn't really take it to a new level.  Shame really, since they could have gone out on a high.

Sound: 10

The opening was bright and churpy and the ending was a nice wrapping up piece.  The music inbetween these was nothing but flawless and it still amazes me just how many pieces of classical music out there that are worth listening to and this series does it best at portraying these.  The voice acting was brilliantly portrayed and can be regarded in someways as one of the best casting for a series.  Excellent.

Characters: 9.5

We have the final part of the story which should hopefully get all the characters wrapped up nicely in little packages so that we can go off content into the sunset.  It was a shame that despite being well done, the final episode seemed rushed and as such the entire wrapping up business didn't happen.  Pity, because the 9.5 would have been an 11 otherwise.

Overall: 9

Nodame Cantabile was a crowning achievement in the world of anime.  Nodame Cantabile: Finale brings about the conclusion of the glory in a somewhat less than expected way.  Not saying it was bad, but there were plenty of room for improvement in the series to give the truely completed feel.  Those of you who loved the first and second series will do well watching this one.  Give it a try and enjoy classical music through the eyes of Chiaki and Nodame for the very last time.

8.5/10 story