Matu

Beet the Vandel Buster Excellion

9 APR
2013

Beet The Vandel Buster: Excellion is a sequel to Beet The Vandel BusterHere is my review of the original series.

The entire series takes place on an island threatened by a Vandel named Vaus.  On this island, The Beet Warriors meet an obnoxious little shit...er, young lad by the name of Leon.  The Beet Warriors must team up with Leon to defeat Vaus and ensure the safety of the island before they can move on in their journey.

By itself, the story isn't too bad.  Just some heroes who are saving a village they happen upon with the help of some locals.  The reason I rate the story so low is that it does not advance the plot of Beet The Vandel Buster at all.  After watching the original series I was really hoping to see a conclusion in Excellion, but I was unfortunately disappointed.

Animation:

Essentially the same as the original series, though there were some neat shots of the island town of Shantigo.

Sound:

No Difference from the original series.  Leon's voice may be a bit annoying, but what can you expect from him?  He's annoying in every way.

This is just a score for the new characters introduced in Excellion.  First off, we have Leon.  If you've read this far without realizing how much I dislike Leon, you are rather dense, sorry to say.  He's one of my least favorite types of characters: the entitled little brat.  He does change some throughout the series, but it takes too long.

As with the original series, I enjoyed the Vandels more than the heroes.  Shakki of course reappears, but not enough.  Nyanjamar was great for his comedic value, and the Vandel enemies were much cooler than the heroes.  And aren't shonen series all about coolness in the end?

Final Thoughts:

This Anime Is... Disappointing.  I was truly hoping for a sequel/conclusion to Beet The Vandel Buster, but what I got was this overly long filler series.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the series will be continued in the near future, as it has gone on hiatus due to the manga illustrator's illness.

Should I Watch This Anime? No.  If you enjoyed the original series, you may find a slight enjoyment in seeing the characters in action again, but you won't want to sit through 25 episodes of filler with no light at the end of the tunnel.

Other Anime Reviews by Matu