MashMash's avatar

• Joined Oct 7, 2012
  • ? / M

sola

Oct 11, 2012

This is my first time doing an anime review so bear with me. I think of myself as more of an abstract reviewer so I base my scores according to my feelings and attachments to this anime as an audience. After watching a few series of Ecchi/Comedy related animes, I have decided to watch something a little different. So I decided that I would give Sola a try based on the reviews I have read and the site rankings.

I guess like some others, I'm blessed to not take any movies or animes lightly. When i do watch an anime, I feel like I was in there, either being one of the characters participating or a sideline viewer within the anime. I'd become so attached to what I was watching to the point where the real world would become numb to me.

'Sola is in a sense quite a heavy series. It arouses many feelings inside me that I couldn't even clearly explain myself. The name sola is a romanizing of the word Sora, which means sky. In Italian and Spanish, the word Sola also means "alone", suggesting a double meaning to the title.

The anime itself is as beautiful as the name sounds, it's a tale of friendship, jealousy, eternal love and promises. It explicitly portrays the emptiness and loneliness of someone having lost a loved one and having the desire to never let them go, just like Aono; and further portrays the inability to accept the reality and to move on. The theme of the sky reoccurs in the anime, and it's also the promise between Yorito and Matsuri, in that they will see the bright blue sky together some day.

'A part of your memories of someone would never die'. Yorito's habit of taking pictures of the sky later becomes Mana's habit even if she had no recollection of who Yorito is. This shows the idea that the great memories you had with your deceased loved ones would one day become your strength and drive you on. I could go on and on about how I feel but I guess I am kind of off track here, so anyways...

The anime started off lightly but ends in a somewhat reminiscent tradegy, although there was no complete recollection of memories. The character who changed the most to me was Aono, from ignorance (< pretty strong word here) to acceptance. Although (SPOILER AHEAD) not every character survived until the end, the ending was somewhat satisfying and conclusive in that the most stubborn character of all finally realizes and understands what the others have sacrificed for her.

"That's why...I walk under the sky, under the sky that those two gave me."

All in all, if you are looking for something a bit more serious, something short, lovely and bittersweet, this is definitely what you would want to watch.