Martenous

BASED ON 8 OF 8 VOLUMES READ
26 MAR
2012

CHOBITS REVIEW

We can love our dog, we can love our cat, hell, we can even love our pet bird but can we love robots?  Chobits is a very unique manga that tries to answer this question.

Art

The first thing you will notice is CLAMP's style.  CLAMP's artwork to me seems a bit more simplistic but it is still very appealing and at times CLAMP can draw some amazing images.  I found it took a bit of reading for me to get used to their drawing style but afterwards I started appreciating it.

This is a seinen manga without action for the most part.  There is really no giant mechas, no constant fighting, it's just a futuristic world where computers start to take human form and Chobits tries to explore the issues in the theme.  If you are not one for story and prefer action, Chobits might not be the manga for you.  The story is beautifully potrayed and through the characters' discussions with another as the main character, Hideki learns about the world around him.

This is one of the best parts of the manga.  The characters are very well developed through out the manga and you learn a lot of secrets in the characters' backstories which explain their actions and attitudes.  Each character is different and likeable.  Each character influences Hideki and his beliefs adding weight to  the characters' existence in the story.  There is a point to everyone in Chobits.

Conclusion

If you want to read a unique manga that is driven by dialogue rather than action then give Chobits a try.  It is a fantastic seinen manga with great characters and an interesting theme.

If you live in a country that sells manga, try to find the Dark Horse Manga omnibuses which are relatively inexpensive.  Two of them complete the whole series.

Other Manga Reviews by Martenous