Mairen's avatar

Mairen

• Joined Oct 8, 2011

Fruits Basket

Oct 14, 2011

Here is Mairen's third review! I know this is an old anime, and I'm really late with finally experiencing this story. I think I watched it because I didn't see anything else on netflix that was really catching my eye, so I decided to give this a chance to see just what the obession was all about.

I did not like it at first. I felt like it was some high-school girl's fantasy life. A girl living in a house with three beautiful guys? Really now? However, I preservered, and the more I watched, the more I warmed up to it. In the end, I liked it so well that I decided to go out and buy the manga so that I may experience the "full story".

The Good:

Lots and lots of good looking guys. Take your pick ladies! While you fight over Kyo and Yuki, I'll be grabbing me some Shigure, oh yes I will!

The culture/legend/whatever you want to call it of the chinese zodiac. I'm always happy to learn new things, and I sure love animals. All the animals in this series really appealed to me. It was fun seeing the personalities of the characters match up with their respective animals

It's really more than just a silly girl's romance. There's quite a bit of drama and mystery and some magic and a good amount of comedy too. In fact, it's not really a "romance" at all from what I can see. You never see Tohru romantically involved with anyone. She makes some great friends though, so I can be pleased with that.

The Bad:

While I'm usually an overly polite and cheerful person myself, I feel that Tohru is simply unrealistically kind and happy. She just smiles and is so kind to everyone, even to the head of the Sohma household when he's grabbing her by her hair, telling her that he wants her to suffer. All she can say to that through her tears? "I'm happy to know you!" Yes, you finally see her experience a "negative" emotion in the last few episodes - fear. But it almost came too late.

The unfinished storyline. I'm not sure what happened here, but if you are going to do something, do it all the way!! Yes, the anime did close up in a way that doesn't leave you begging for more, and asking a hundred questions about what happened. But there was still some things that really felt unfinished, like the fact that the Sohma curse was never broken in the end.

Some characters in this series were a bit "too" annoying. I'm a patient person, but I have to say that the Hotspring owner, the horse, and the monkey were a bit too much. I could breathe a sigh of relief when their episodes were over.