Maggie's avatar

• Joined Apr 29, 2013
  • ? / F

Azumanga Daioh

May 5, 2013

This comedy will not make you laugh and rolling on the floor. You won't hear any super funny jokes and you won't see other gags you usually find in comedies. Azumanga Daioh is like relaxed leaf on the calm water of ocean. It drifts slowly and doesn't hurry. You can join it and drift by its side.

The story

The anime shows 3 years of life of the high school students. We meet 6 classmates + their teachers. They have different personalities and hobbies but they are group of great friends and they like to spend their time together. Every year has the same school events like the day of sport, the cultural day or the summer vacation. We can watch the girls studying for exams, having fun during free time, having swimming lessions, eating their lunch, sleeping on the desk - so everything the japanese students experience.

Some of the main characters might be a little too annoying, but it doesn't happen often. They are just the normal girls you can meet at school. We got a chance for meeting every of them closer - their problems, hobbies and dreams. I found it really interesting.

What is original about this anime?

The series about high school students usually are also about their love problems. In Azumanga Daioh you won't find any deep romance. The only crush we can see is Kaori's secret love to Sasaki, but it doesn't take too much space. Sometimes they mention how they would like to have boyfriends, but it doesn't happen often as well. What I also found original is their... hair. Ya, you won't see any girls with pink, blue or green ones. The characters look like normal, japanese people - they all have black or brown hair and black or brown eyes.

What I didn't like?

Sometimes the conversations between the girls are too slow. 5 minutes between one word and second. The same which showing their surprised faces, where one was looking at another for 10 minutes.

Overall

What else? If you are done with the high school, then this anime will probably bring the good memories back.