MVortex's avatar

• Joined May 25, 2011
  • 20 / ?

Freedom

May 25, 2011

I went into this anime knowing it was a convoluted product plug for Nissin Cup Noodles. But actually really enjoyed it.

Without giving away spoilers, the story is based on the moon in the future as we follow the adventures of Takeru and his friends Kazuma and Bismarck. People believe the earth to be dead so moon life seems ideal until a photo sets off the main story. It's quite a simplistic story that is easy to follow but doesn't get in the way or try to be too over complex.

One reason why I liked this anime is because the story was presented in an exceptionally concise manner. I think the directors were wishing to present this story in the same way as you'd remember it if you had experienced it, if that makes sense ^_^

The animation was obviously digitized at times, so certain close ups became slighty pixelated which distracted the viewer. There should have been more aliasing at least to smooth out some of the frames as well. However the animation wasn't awful so I wouldn't give it less that 5. I'm giving it a 7 because I liked the reflections and some of the richly detailed lanscapes that brought to life the settings.

In terms of sound, it wasn't too lacking, but some ambience effects could have been added throughout for immersions sake. Actually the background sounds were lacking, but it had a  vibrant soundtrack for a commercial so I wasn't dissatisfied. The characters were always audiable and the voice acting was good, at least the japanese was, I wouldn't bother with the other voice acting.

I liked the simple characters because I didn't expect any emotion. I suppose if I had approached this thinking of a normal anime I would have expected a lot more character development.

Overall, I found it a fun little OVA with a awkward simple message and not much point but lightly recommended for the journey and fairly unique way of presenting the passage of time.