MMaru's avatar

• Erie, PA
  • Joined Jan 18, 2013

Aquarium

Jan 31, 2013

This is a really great collection of short stories in a one-shot volume.  The first, title piece is about a girl who failed to get into her first choice school.  She seeks solace in visiting the local aquarium, where she meets a young man that she starts to form a relationship with.   The second story is about a stewardess who reconnects with an old school friend during a flight.  The third story is about two friends who, years after sitting together in church, feel themselves destined for one another.

This is just a very sweet collection of stories.  I'm not normally a short story fan in written or manga form, but I loved Aquarium.  The title piece was my favorite of the three.  There are a lot of really interesting facts listed in the mangaka's sidenotes.  For example, before reading this book, I wasn't aware that being a stewardess is a big dream for a lot of Japanese girls, and dating a stewardess is a goal for a lot of Japanese men.  There is a lot of interesting information that supplements the stories.

The art was relatively simple but well-done.  The characters were well-rounded for a short story, and the mangaka did a fantastic job of drawing you into the story so that you could really feel the emotions of the protagonists.

Highly recommended!