MAK2Hybrid's avatar

• Alabama
  • Joined Jul 15, 2013

Black Blood Brothers

Aug 12, 2013

I don’t know if you notice lately or before but there was been a numerous amount of anime with vampires in the main element. Much like movies in the past, present and the future, the vampire boom has been around anime ever since the ‘80s (as far as I know) and there were many hits such as Hellsing, Blood: The Last Vampire, Karin, Vampire Hunter D and many others to be named. But I wonder what can be different about this series or different from any vampire media……well, let’s hope it won’t be like that other vampire franchise but let’s focus on this now.
During a war called the Hong Kong Crusade, an Old Blood Black Blood Brothers, Jiro Mochizuki, a.k.a. the Silver Blade (Gintō), fought and defeated the Kowloon king and also most of the Kowloon Children. Ten years later, Jiro heads to Hong Kong with his little brother, Kotaro Mochizuki, in hopes of reaching The Special Zone, a thriving secret city where Vampires live. They soon realize that a plan to infiltrate the Special Zone is being hatched by the Kowloon Children survivors. As they travel to The Special Zone, Jiro encounters enemies from the past and new threats that may endanger the safety of the Special Zone. The abduction of Kotaro, by one of the Kowloon Children, thrusts him even further into the battle.
Most of the time in the series, they place the story of Jiro and his late lover in the beginning segments before the main plot surfaces onto the screen. It can be confusing for the first few times if that story doesn’t intersect too much with the original focus but it didn’t seem to bother me in the that track time. The pace for the show wasn’t really quick but for an 12-episode series, it didn’t drag out too long and it got to where it needed to be at that time but at the series’ end, it should added at least one more episode to explain some further details but then again it was one of those “you have to read the manga to find out more” type of show but it’s mostly saying, “Read for once in your life, you lazy fuck!!”.
The characters in this series are not as flattering or even noteworthy of being memorable. Jiro plays the archetype of the vampire who still mourns for his lost love and somewhat an unstoppable force to reckon with……well, not really. Water is his weakness. Yes, we can survive bullets and sometimes the sun since he does be in the daylight but water can really mess him up. Kotaro…….should I feel bad that the first I see him in the show and he was banging on the coffin and Jiro beat him around, I laughed at that? But, yeah, Kotaro is basically the cheery comic relief of the show and he’s not really helpful in this and the fact he does get kidnapped and put in danger a lot. He just seems more to get in the way of things then actually helping out. Mimiko wasn’t too bad of a character to deal with, although she does chastise Jiro many times in the story. The only other character that actually does contribute to the story is Cassa, once friends with Jiro and his lover, Alice Eve (not the actress) but betrayed him by killing her. Every other character (like Kelly Wong) gets tossed aside from show altogether, practically not caring whether their story matters at all.

The animation is rather bland and uninteresting. It looks well done with 50% of the fight scenes but there’s nothing more to that. Group TAC & Studio Live, the companies that provided the animation, really don’t have anything else noticeable in their resume, aside assisting other animation studios on their projects but I don’t know if they’re going to have any future projects after this. The music is also surprisingly dull, albeit has a switch of melodic tone from the OP song to the ED song. The BG music was nothing to expect anything new but average at best.
FINAL VERDICT: It would be cliché to say Black Blood Brothers brought nothing interesting or exciting to the table but it holds up to be pretty average in my book. Some parts you’ll find to be remotely watchable and consistent but aside from that, it can be a mess to go through with. I would say BBB is only good for a one-time watch and that’s it.

So, Black Blood Brothers gets the final grade of 6/10 PLANET TYRO RATING: VANILLA