Lumineux's avatar

• 44 / ?

Gungrave

Jan 20, 2011

Story - 9

Episodes were laid out well. The 1st episode shows a glimpse of a few battles between a gunner and monsters. Then starts a flashback. The story started well since it was engaging. The story calls for great development as the main characters try to climb the ladder in the mafia. Fueled by the goal of "giving/taking as much as they want," they learn to use others and follow orders(only one of the two characters has this goal actually, the other's goal is to protect).

Halfway point through the series, I watched what seemed to be the first episode again. Honestly, I wanted to skip it, but I watched it. Comparing from the 1st episode, this time i get the little fill-ins. What I learned in the flashback episodes helped make the first episode make more sense, which the purpose of replaying the episode was for emotional memory gaps from the character, Grave. Around this point is the directional shift of when monster strongly come into play. I want to say that the 1st half of the series was satisfying: good story, character development, and emotional scenes. I thought some aspects of the 2nd half was a bit off, not to say it was bad though.

Characters - 10

Most, if not all, were pretty memorable. The time lapses which varies from months up to years really worked out well to bring out the progress of the cast. The only bad parts that comes to mind is some of the behaviors in the mafia. It makes me wonder why some of them are, for lack of better word, looney. i Suppose being in the mafia for that long will do wonders to your mind.

-continue