Lizard

Beauty Pop

BASED ON 10 OF 10 VOLUMES READ
11 NOV
2012

The manga Beauty Pop tells the tale of our charmingly aloof protagonist, Kiri Koshiba, as she explores the world of high-class glamorization, and her encounters with the school-sponsored group of beautification prodigies, the Scissors Project. If you’re looking for a lighthearted shoujo read to lift your spirits on a hard day, then this is the comic for you! The story moves along at a good pace, and keeps moving over all ten volumes, if not terribly plot-heavy in places that could be expanded upon. One of my favorite things about this is that despite Kiri’s ambivalence to becoming a beautician, the series never gets bogged down with it, unlike some series with characters that are similarly apprehensive to their field of specialty. The other characters are also similarly interesting, introducing a colorful tone to each page, even if sometimes they seem to get caught up in tropes. The characters also help maintain several running jokes throughout that don’t feel forced or worn out even though they get referenced fairly frequently. The art is appropriate to the comic’s overall feeling, even if it sometimes looks a bit wonky or generic. Altogether, I would def recommend this comic to a friend for a pick-me-up, and I have the feeling I’ll be rereading it sometime soon.

Other Manga Reviews by Lizard