LinkSword

RDG: Red Data Girl

8 JUN
2013

While technically not the worst anime to come out this season by a long shot, it was easily the most boring to watch.

It's extremely slow and mellow to a fault. The segments supposed to be touching scenes, decisive alliances or meaningful climaxes feel like any other average, uneventful conversation between characters in a relaxed moment of an anime arc.

Red Data Girl starts off with an interesting premise enveloped in mystery and subtle hints, and a promise at a compelling coming of age story for characters in less than ideal family situations. The problem is, it doesn't really do anything noteworthy with all that basis and my interest for it wore thin very quickly.

A good chunk of the show is then dedicated to arcs for characters that were supposed to be a strong supporting cast and yet felt anything but. Izumiko, the female lead, hardly develops at all in this whole part, and what little there is to her development towards the end of the show feels underwhelming and irrelevant. Just like everything about the plot, I took a conditional liking to Izumiko from the start and I progressively lost all interest I could have harbored before. She never truly felt to me as though she actually came out of her shell of awkward isolation, and this being the main point of a coming of age story for a timid teenager that wants to change herself and live like a normal girl, is pretty much a failure in execution.

The rest of characters aren't fun to follow and I'll forget about them all soon enough. The second half of the show is built around some kind of SERIUZ BIZNESS festival event they're all involved with, and of course yet again nothing of special impact happens with any of them. It's like they're all there to say their one or two ''conspiracy'' lines, make iddle chat with Izumiko, and then fade into the background as the credits are about to roll.

The final scenes of the series are supposed to be the climax of the whole story, yet at best it feels like what I'd expect to be the closure to an average minor arc and, yet again, nothing seems to have changed importantly for the characters. The ''romance development'' you have there is pretty much at the same level as what you'd get after a shonen/harem lead rescues the damsel in distress and tells her how important she is. Namely, almost nothing, because they do nothing and you feel nothing.

I found the character designs and general mood of the show to be bland. There were two or three scenes with very memorable ambience near the beginning, but nothing that could save my overall impression of its technical values.

If I had to mention a very good point, that'd be the ending theme, Yokan. Beautifully produced from Masumi Ito's angelical vocal chords, I felt it soothed my heart and cleansed my soul every time I listened to it after an episode. Unfortunately, though, this is not Haibane Renmei, so this theme is only beautiful in itself and not because it also works as a complement to evoke the beauty of the very show it's closing, like Blue Flow did.

I'm glad this is over. Monks, exorcisms and spirits are not my cup of tea to begin with, and if you present these to me with dull, mediocre writing, you know I'm not going to be a happy customer.

Other Anime Reviews by LinkSword

Pandora Hearts

Devil Survivor 2 The Animation user review by LinkSword

Devil Survivor 2 The Animation

• Overall 5.5/10

comments

kirbz avatar kirbz
Jun 13, 2013

Looks like I missed out on nothing. The anime looked promising 2-3 episodes in for me, but then, like Pakuda, bored me to tears on the 6. Good review, btw.

Pakuda avatar Pakuda
Jun 10, 2013

Agreed.  I really did try to like this show, but it just bored me to tears. I don't know what they were trying to do with this.