Lightuke's avatar

Lightuke

• US
  • Joined Aug 18, 2013

The kingdom of Segua is losing its war with the empire of Ninterudo, and its last hope just may be a speedy youth named Gear.

This show is an anime version of the console wars of the 90's (in the absolute loosest sense.) Each character in the show represents a character from a game (or sometimes a game itself). The main character Gear is clearly modeled after Sonic, and the leader of Ninterudo, Marcus, is supposed to be Mario.

Sounds like at least an interesting premise with some potential right? Well, while I believe the potential is there, I think that the actual delivery of the story is, well, confused. I keep saying potential, and that really is the key word for this series. It has so much that it will keep you watching just to see what they do. And what they do is, well, less than amazing.

Don't get me wrong, its not all bad. There is some humor in there (along with and excessive amount of fan service/innuendos), but both it and the action are never properly built upon. You just feel disappointed because there is so much more they could have done with it.

As it stands, its ok. The opening was nothing special, and the ending even less so. There are certainly a lot worse things out there to watch, and with only 3 episodes (at least so far?) its a quick watch through. For the time invested, it may well be worth it to any fans of retro video games, especially in trying to play "Who's that personification-of-a-video-game?" (We're working on a better name for it.) For everyone else, you could do worse, but the winks to the retro gaming fans pretty much makes up most of the appeal here.