Letiger's avatar

Letiger

• Joined Oct 23, 2011
  • ? / ?

First off, I have to say. I love Touhou. I do. Too bad there isn't anything in the way of anime for it besides two OVA's, both of which I have watched many times over.

This is one of them. There's nothing in the way of a story besides the fact that Reimu's donation box has gone missing along with other items from various people in Gensokyo. It's a bit contrived, but, then again, it's Touhou. You have barely anything on which to base it besides the characters.

I'd call it  an indie OVA. I don't know from where it came, or how many people worked on it, but it sure as hell isn't an entire studio. The animation, from how many people, I assume, worked on it is great, though Reimu's face near the beggining could've used some work.

Unlike the other OVA which had to be fan-dubbed (in Japanese), this one came with it, and it works. It works well. It does its job.

Characters have been the focus point in Touhou. We're given the ones from EoSD as well as Suika and Aya, but that's it. EoSD contains some of my favourite characters. Besides Reimu, Marisa, and Aya, the others are seen for a certain period of time and then dissapear. Suika does this. Meirin, whom I don't really care for, does this. Patchouli is involved with one fight near the end, and we're given about two scenes with Remilia and Sakuya. I'm not complaining, but something feels missing. Maybe the fact that it's a one episode OVA.

I'd really love to see a full series of this.

EHero09 says...

I'd love a full-blown anime of Touhou; ir's just a shame ZUN doesn't want one for fear of the actual games being overshadowed by such an anime. :/

Mar 1, 2013