LastActionCowboy's avatar

• Massachusetts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2012

Clannad

Mar 1, 2013

This is a review of after story as well.

• Story: I really can't tell if a show is good or not by the first episode, but hearing the words "I hate this town" right at the beginning really got me curious and i wanted to watch it more. As I progressed throughout Clannad, I found myself enjoying not just the main story of Tomoya and Nagisa, but the stories of the other characters too. I'm not going to post spoilers, but many of these stories made me tear up.
  • Animation: I've always loved the animation styles that Kyoto uses for the shows that they animate. This applies more to the shows they animate that are written by key. Shows such as Clannad, Kanon, and Air all have a very similar art style that Kyoto takes straight from the Visual novels, and then they add their animation. They animation seems to have an appealing style to it that i love. Key and Kyoto are always an amazing combo for anime. Clannad is certainly no exception to this rule. One thing I’ve heard people complain about is that sometimes the characters eyes are drawn too far apart. I've never seen this before, but i wouldn't let something that little ruin my experience.
  • Sound: I really don't know how to judge an anime's sound. If I had to take a guess, I'd guess I would be rating the voice acting and music. I didn't watch the Japanese version of Clannad, but in the English version, they use some of my favorite voice actors like Luci Christian, Emily Neves, and Andrew Love. The voices sync well with the characters lip movement and the voices fit well. As for the music, all I have to say is that I bought the soundtrack and put it on my phone. My favorite song is "snowfield".
  • Characters: When you have a mixture of funny moods and serious moods that come at you in the right amounts, you get Clannad. In this anime's serious moments, the characters mood will change accordingly. They feel like actual people that know exactly what other character are feeling in certain situations. Clannad is also packed with awesome and expected personalities. There's the scumbag main character, the comic relief best friend, the shy and innocent female, the pair of twins, the genius, the tough girl, etc. This mixture of characters is almost expected by me in any school life/drama/romance show. My favorite character is Tomoyo.
  • Overall: I watched Clannad on a friend's recommendation and it's become my favorite anime of all time. I've watched many other shows since then, but nothing seems to compare to it. I can actually use that generic after play statement of "I laughed, I cried." because that's literally what happened. This show is genuinely a sad show about the hardships of life, but key stuck the right amount of comedy in it that was actually funny. This is my number one recommendation for any anime fan who hasn't yet seen it.