Larfen

Steins;Gate

2 JUN
2012

The overall reception for this anime has been simply astounding for me.  I wouldn't put this in my top ten for 2011, or even consider it.  I don't write much, but here's some basic problems I had with the anime by section.

Story - The story did a good job at making sense, which is hard to do in a time travel scenario.  However, making sense does not automatically make something good.  Also, the time travel mechanisms aren't as original as some may say.  The idea of sending messages to the past has been used in a movie like Deja Vu, for example.  The idea of unavoidable events in the future have been used by other anime such as Madoka and Higurashi.  The end seemed to be TOO happy as well, it didn't seem to fit with the rest of the anime.  Overall, the story seemed to be paced improperly, somewhat derivative, and I never found myself really engaged in it.

Animation - Not too many complaints with the animation here.  Character designs are nice, no real eyesores anywhere.

Sound - I never pay attention to the sound in almost any anime, don't have really anything to say about this either.

Characters - The characters are definitely stronger than the story, and are the main reason I decided to sit throught the whole thing.  Although the point of the characters was to be eccentric, sometimes I felt that the insanity of the cast was a bit too much with a lack of a real "normal" person to keep their quirks in check.  For example, Okabe does things socially inappropriate things all the time, such as groping Ruka in one scene.  No one really reacts too strongly to this, because the rest of them are slightly messed up too.  It just seemed weird to have a whole ensemble of crazy people doing crazy person things.  I do have to give Kurisu credit, however, for being one of the least bad tsunderes I've ever seen, although I still don't like her because she's still a tsundere.

Overall, I have always been surprised by the absolute love of this series that many people have.  I was never deeply affected by it, and although the technical aspects were good, I felt the story was lackluster, and the characters weren't too outstanding.

Other Anime Reviews by Larfen

Steins;Gate user review by Larfen

Steins;Gate

• Sound N/A

Recent Anime Reviews by Larfen

comments

flaze avatar flaze
Jan 13, 2014

"Well a review is meant to include personal opinion." -animelibera

Reviews should be written as objectively as possible. It would be better if all reviews pointed out the same things, because that would mean consistency, which would help the people reading reviews.

"I never pay attention to the sound in almost any anime."

While it's fine to say sound and animation don't affect the score much, it isn't right to completely disregard them.

"The end seemed to be TOO happy as well, it didn't seem to fit with the rest of the anime.  Overall, the story seemed to be paced improperly, somewhat derivative, and I never found myself really engaged in it."

I'll agree that after episode 22, the ending felt somewhat forced. The pacing, however, was really not that bad. Granted, parts of the first half were relatively slow, but other than that, it's pretty consistent.

Your characters section is both the best and the worst section of your review. You make good observations like "the characters are definitely stronger than the story," yet bring down your credibility by saying things like "although I still don't like her because she's still a tsundere." Once again, reviews should be written as objectively as possible.

animelibera avatar animelibera
Feb 28, 2013

Well a review is meant to include personal opinion. Otherwise reviews would be useless since everyone would always bring up the exact same points. He didn't like it, so don't attack him for it. Good review.

Nlwino avatar Nlwino
Jun 18, 2012

Although I can understand that you don't like the story (each his own oppinion), saying its bad is plain wrong. It's one of the best put togheter storylines in a setting that normally gives tons of plot holes.

Next to that your data is plain wrong. Comparing it to Madoka and then saying that it has already been done before. This story is older then Madoka and Akibuki Shinbo, the writher of Madoka is a big fan of Steins Gate.

Last but not least, people read reviews to find new anime's to watch. Try to keep spoilers out of the review and don't base the review on your personal opinion. And just because you do not pay much attention to the sound, there are many people that do. So if you review it, make a complete review of all the aspects of the anime.

Bankai000 avatar Bankai000
Jun 4, 2012

Dude, no offence but you really should stop watching anime if you rated steins gate 5/10. If you checked any anime website you'll see that steins gate is always on the top of the list. Regarding your comment about the story, the story was unique on it's own way it was almost perfect. I mean where in hell you can find a similar story in anime industry. The ending conculded the whole thing and made the idea of the series makes "sense", of course it should be a happy ending, without that kind of ending I would had rated the anime 5/10 just like you did now.