Lair's avatar

• Finland
  • Joined Mar 13, 2010

Vampire Knight

Apr 13, 2010

In my last blog I mentioned that I would give my impressions on a few animes that I saw recently. Ill start with Vampire Knight & Vampire Knight Guilty as I have a lot to say about it. This is not a real review, just my thoughts of it.

I know that this anime is not aimed for me. Well I know that now, but at the time I had no idea what it was about. Vampire Knight saga could be described as an anime equivalent of Twilight saga (you know, the movies that all girls go crazy about these days). I watched the first Twilight movie and never really liked it (shocking I know). I think it's mainly because of how they raped the vampire classification. Vampire Knight reminded me a lot of Twilight. It could be because it had vampires, an abvious love story and the HUGE amount of emo-bullshit that gushed from its every orifice. I dont usually mind if a character is excessively emotional sometimes. They are usually just phases that emphasize the direness of a characters situation or the fight against ones inner demons. But in Vampire Knight its not a phase, its a whole friggin character. One of the main characters to be exact. Yay.

Nevertheless, God help me I liked Vampire Knight. Sure all the emoshit was annoying, but the plot was very good and the mystery surrounding Kaname was magnificently covered. Also, the anime's depiction of vampires is actually quite good. They are monsters at heart(like they should). But because of Kaname's absolute reign, none dare to act their nature. They are portrayed as bishounen/bishoujo, who are adored by the normal humans (just like a vampire might do with their ability to charm people, like they are supposed to be able to in other vampire fictions). But the main strength of this anime is Kaname Kuran and the constant hints shifting him from a villain to a good guy, and then back again. His goals remained hidden perfectly throughout the series all the way to the grand reveal that actually shocked me. And I know exactly why it was so well hidden. If you dont want spoilers, skip the next paragraph or I'll spoil it for you.

Vampire Knight pulled the George Lucas stunt, sort of. The main character is (lustfully) in love with a Kaname who is later revealed to be her brother. Before this reveal, we can see that Kaname toils with her like a tease, acting in a way only lovers would act. Knowing now that they are siblings makes this quite awkward. The only reason it never even crossed my mind that they would be siblings is that I never expected THIS anime to have incestuous themes. Silly me.

Yet, because of this plot twist I have regained my faith in modern movie plots. This proved that I'm not so cynical as I thought I was. It proved that I can still be surprised with a plot twist (one that doesn't give me a face palm). I can't even remember when I last felt this "Of course, this explains everything"-moment. How I missed that feeling of enlightment. It is really a shame that the male lead in this anime was so annoying that I couldnt enjoy this anime better.

Overall, definately worth the watch.

Esper26 says...

I came across Vampire Knight much like you, I had no clue what it was about. I just was told by frined it was a good anime. Still to this day I don't know how I fell about it. I just know I agree with alot of your thoughts on it.

Jul 10, 2010