Lagore's avatar

Lagore

• Freetown, USA
  • Joined Apr 9, 2008
  • ? / M

Many less-enlightened persons have labeled this movie as "experimental" or "a glorified music video".  I am here to assure you that those people wrong.  Interstella 5555 is one the most utterly fun and entertaining movies I have ever seen.  Let's explore why, shall we?

-SOUND-

Let's start by saying that there is absolutely no dialogue, and very few sound effects in this movie.  The audio in this is taken up entirely by the music from the band techno-pop band Daft Punk.  Many viewers have assumed that this movie only exists as a way to deliver this music, much like a music video.  But this could not be further from the truth.  What has been created here, is perhaps the greatest movie soundtrack of all time, and I do not say that lightly.

Unlike almost all other films, the music in this works hand and hand with the story.  It is not simply incidental, coming up only when it is needed.  The music supports the plot, and the plot supports the music.  Together, they combine to tell a beautiful story.

-STORY-

The plot in Interstella 5555 is pretty simple, but don't let that tun you off.  People often see the word "simple" as a negative attribute.  However, with this movie, it feels more like it has trimmed away the unnecessary parts to streamline the film.  The story is fun and original, and it will leave you satisfied and  feeling all warm and fuzzy.

The basic premise is that a music group on an alien planet has been kidnapped, and it is up to a rugged intergalactic hero (who is also their biggest fan) to come to their rescue.

You may be surprised to find that the story has many layers.  On one hand, it serves as a scathing indictment against the music industry.  On another, it is a tale of sacrifice and love.  And, of course, it is also just a fun intergalactic adventure.

I have watched this film more times than any other anime, and each time, I find something new.  There are many, many minor reoccurring characters and settings that pop up throughout the film, creating a vibrant setting that feels alive.

-CHARACTERS-

Okay, I will admit this to you: characterization is not this movie's strong suit.  Without the aid of dialogue, it is tough to develop a character to their full potential.  And it doesn't help that the movie only has one hour to build up these characters.  But Interstella 5555 isn't terrible at this, despite what you may assume.  By the end, I did care about the characters, but there were indeed several I didn't know or care much about.  And besides, it still feels weird to me to say that a movie has good characters when I don't even know their names.

-OVERALL-

There are something that cannot be gauged by reading the above data.  And that s entertainment value.  Some things are just fun to watch.  And, as you may have guessed, Interstella 5555 is a good example of this.  This is simply a fun, entertaining movie that is enjoyable for everyone from infants to the elderly.  There is nothing objectionable in this, it tells a fun little story.  If you're like me, you will want to watch this again and again, especially with your family and friends.

Bahtsecks says...

This is your only review I agree with; Interstella 5555 got me into Daft Punk and eventually into techno.

Jan 27, 2010