KurosuGemu

Cross Game

29 APR
2010

Cross Game Review – (94/100 – Classic)

Story: 9/10

Cross Game is my first Adachi anime, and I was thoroughly impressed by its storytelling. The whole series is slow paced and filled with tension. Despite being somewhat predictable, Cross Game is well executed. There is only 1 filler episode out of 50, and even that episode tied pretty well into the main story. My only criticism is Adachi could have fleshed it out a little more, adding some more episodes. Yes this show already has 50 episodes, but it feels shorter than that.

Animation: 8/10

I really liked the art from this show. It feels like an old school anime, and the nostalgic atmosphere it creates serves it well. There were a few points in the show where the animation quality dipped. However, the no non-sense/frills animation was pretty consistent throughout its entirety.

Characters: 10/10

Cross Game’s cast is one of the most memorable in all of anime (that I have watched at least). Each character is developed so well that there isn’t really a character that you won’t like. In fact, you will really sympathize with the main cast’s struggles, hardships, and triumphs.

Sound: 10/10

I loved the OP and the first ED. The next few ED’s are great, but not as powerfully moving as the first one. The first ED “Koi Kogarete Mita Yume” is a beautiful song in its own right, but coupled with this anime, it really could not be more perfect. The OP “Summer Rain” is another song that really speaks volumes about the show and instantly feels like a classic. Finally the soundtrack is wonderfully arranged and really adds to the tension/excitement of the show.

Enjoyment: 10/10

I’m not really a big fan of baseball and when I started this show I was a little hesitant, but I had heard great things about it. From the start, the show hooked me in and never dropped the ball. Easily one of the best slice of life shows I’ve seen (one of the best anime’s I’ve seen for that matter), so I highly recommend this show to others. If you can get past its animation (for some, that’s the weakest part of the show), you will be rewarded with a classic.

Average Series Rating: 9.4 - Classic

overall score: 8.8/10

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 user review by KurosuGemu

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

• Overall 9.4/10

comments

flaze avatar flaze
Jul 18, 2012

I don't really mind that it is short. You got your point across.

Anyway, I definitely agree with you that it feels shorter than 50 episodes. I'm on episode 44 and I've only been watching it for 3 days.

I also agree with your comments regarding the animation. I actually thought this anime was made in the late 80s or 90s until I looked up when it was made.

Characters felt very real and Summer Rain is awesome. Thanks for an accurate review!

UltimateShock avatar UltimateShock
Jul 1, 2010

Good review, keep it up but in my opinion you should write reviews that are a bit more lengthy.

So good luck!