KrimsonCrusade's avatar

KrimsonCrusade

• Joined Feb 15, 2014

Angel Beats!

Apr 25, 2014

Angel Beats is an original anime, placing the main characters in a Purgatory like world to try to get them to figure out their life and achieve their life ambition before they move on to the afterlife. It manages to balance it's comedy and tragedy elements suprisingly well without feeling schizophrenic at any point, but manages to hit both on the head.

The comedic moments in the show are frequent enough to keep you happy through the tragic moments, and there were points where I had to pause the video because I was still laughing. Each of the characters has their comedic moments, some more than others, but balances several different styles of comedy rather than just one, which is a testament to how amazing the characters are, and is one of the funnier animes I've seen.

But that isn't to say that the Tragic parts in the show weren't effective as well. Many anime's and even regular TV Shows don't usually manage to balance these two elements, simply because of how contradictory they are to each other, but when the show is sad, it gets rather sad. Each character has their own interesting and heart wrenching backstory, which they try to discover and remember through their haze of amnesia, and Otanashi's arc is heartbreaking. I was in tears at the end credits, and not many animes have managed to do that.

The animation is pretty great, just nothing mind-blowing, but managing to be rather beautiful at times. However the soundtrack is another sector where this show shines, making me immediatly download the soundtrack after binge watching the show, which, unlike some OTHER animes which drag on for FAR too long and are riddled with filler episodes *cough Naruto cough*, this anime is only  13 episodes long, and has no filler episodes what-so-ever.

The story is fantastic, presenting an interesting universe for the show to explore with an original concept to back it, as well as adding in a few interweaving plot points to bring to light interesting interactions and stress to the characters. Towards the end, it feels like the purgatory around them is crumbling, and as more and more people move on, leaving only a few people yet to fulfill their ambitions, the feelings of isolation grows more and more. It is incredibly well done, and the backstories of each member of 'The SSS' are intriguing and emotional.

Overall, this is one of the best animes I've ever seen, and I cannot recommend it enough to any fans of anime. A comedic yet emotional thrillride that is sure to leave you in tears by the end.

AngelBeatsYui says...

I agree with you completely, hope I can read more of your reviews in the future!

~AngelBeatsYui~