Komirai's avatar

Komirai

• Joined Jul 7, 2012

Megane na Kanojo

Jul 13, 2012

In a nutshell, the story of Megane na Kanojo revolves around four individual stories about four girls who wear glasses and discover love. Each story is short, sweet, and enjoyable, all at a slow, calm, and not overwhelming pace. The stories aren't especially detailed or chalk full of drama, they're just nice. That's the only way I can really describe it.

For the main characters, you had the quirky club president, the pop-idol, the air-headed college student, and the shy high school freshman with their male companions. These characters weren't especially unique or interesting, but they were decent and good for this kind of anime. Each girl had their own personality that set them aside from the other girls in the other episodes, and that is a very great thing that worked out well for this series.

Like every other aspect of this series, the art isn't especially great, but works well for it. It consisted of light pastel colors that added a very happy, cheerful, and calm mood overall. The girls were cute, the guys were decent, and the backgrounds were surprisingly detailed compared to everything else. The one thing that stood out for me, however, were the characters' glasses. In a lot of anime and manga, most megane characters have the "cut off" glasses (as I call it) where only the bottom half of the frame and lens show. In Megane na Kanojo though, you see the glasses as a whole, even in different cute designs and colors that went along well with each character's personality.

The sound of Megane na Kanojo was surprisingly better than I expected. For a lot of short OVAs these days, the voice acting, music, and overall sound quality has been depleting. However, this is not the case for this series. The voice acting was great, not excellent, but very good for an OVA. The calm background music went along well with each situation and small event that happened in each episode. As for the opening and ending themes, they both were cute, light hearted, and very appropriate for the show.

Overall Megane na Kanojo is an excellent short series that can be enjoyed by anyone of all ages. It is sweet, plain and simple, and a cute slice-of-life series that really made me look at wearing glasses in a different way. I think that because of Megane na Kanojo, when I walk into school on Monday, I'll have a positive attitude about pulling out my case and slipping on my pair of small rimmed glasses while getting ready for class.