Klitch's avatar

• Olympia, Washington
  • Joined Jul 20, 2009

Kite Liberator

Jan 31, 2011

Well 58 minutes later, and I have no idea what to make of Kite Liberator. On the bright side, I believe that's an affliction that I share with the guys paid to create this OVA. The overall impression I get from Kite Liberator is that two different anime studios created separate multiple-episode OVAs and were forced to combine all of the episodes of both series into a single episode of a single OVA at the last moment.

Story: The story is a blending of the plot from Kite (scantily-clad female assassin kills criminals) and the sci-fi staple of mutated crew member on a space station brutally murders everyone and then escapes to Earth via a completely bogus mechanism. Mix those two stories with a series of contrived and highly implausible coincidences and you've got... well whatever this is.

I feel that I need to specifically note how terrible the pacing is in this OVA. Scenes clash together with no transitions or continued mood. In one series of four scenes we have a criminal molesting a little girl and then getting gorily murdered, then a campy fan service scene at a diner, then a scene where an astronaut is mutating into a monster, and finally a humorous scene at school where a teacher collects various contraband items from the students. Try to draw a sensible storyline through that why don't you?

Worst of all, however, is that NOTHING is explained. One scene has Monika (female protagonist) undressing and we see a scar on her back (and then we zoom in on it) and it's never mentioned again. At another point a man dressed in a cat mascot outfit (assumed to be her contact to the assassin collective, though we're never told if said collective even exists or if she's freelance) tells Monika that instead of assassinating criminals, she is to kill the space monster which, for some reason, the cat man knows about. At another point, the scientist who accidentally caused the mutation of the crew member tells Monika his name, the company he works for, the fact that he's responsible for the monster, and how more than anything he needs to keep the fact that he created the monster a secret (?!) all without Monika ever asking him a question. It's a bizarre exposition that was stuffed in so that the writers could ensure that Monika knows the entire plot. Oh, and one final question, how the hell did this girl become a trained assassin?

Ok one final point and then I promise I'm done with the story. This OVA ends on a cliffhanger. WEAK!

Animation: This is the shining point of the OVA. The production values are really high here and apart from a few scenes where the animation is choppy and periods where the lip-sync doesn't exactly match up, the animation looks great. The character models are nearly universally well-done as well with the police commissioner being the sole exception. He only has a bit role, but he has such a bizarre character model.

Sound: The sound effects were, as you would expect from the high production values, top-notch. The music was your standard J-Pop fare with nothing memorable. The voice acting was pretty good overall, but I hated whoever was responsible for Monika's voice acting. There were periods where it sounded forced and fake (watch the scene where Monika fires a Roman candle for proof).

Characters: Well apart from the previously-mentioned fact that nothing about the characters is ever explained, I feel the need to criticize them for a lack of motivation. Monika has no reason (that we know of) to go vigilante. The monster spends most of its time hiding but comes out at random periods to do nothing in particular. The diner owner seems to be hiding a rapist (or at least supplying him) but at another point seems to be part of Monika's assassin collective. Whether the doctor responsible for the mutation is a man who feels terrible about his mistake and wants to forget it ever happened or a man who doesn't feel shame and only wants to duck responsibility is never explained (an important distinction in my mind).

Finally I must question whether some of these characters even merited inclusion in the OVA. Monika's friend (sister?) seems to serve no purpose. The Defy Foods agents don't add anything to the storyline (blood doesn't count). The cop who asks Monika out never sees that plot line progress anywhere. Overall, the execution of the characters in Kite Liberator is pretty poor.

Overall: Unless you're out for some eye candy, including copious amounts of blood, several panty shots, and one boob scene, I'd suggest you avoid this OVA. The plot is a god-awful mess that incongruously mashes together diverse plot elements and ends without any sort of resolution. There is no back story or explanation for anything and the acting is mediocre at best. On the bright side, Monika's blue eyes are very pretty. If you watch it anyways, keep an eye out for the "Hëegen-gezs" ice cream; that at least gave me a chuckle.

1.5/10 story
8.5/10 animation

WhiteKnight says...

I agree that it was lacking horribly in many aspects, however there is a plot. It just takes a bit of thinking to make it out. The lack of a back story does make it harder for me to like it but none the less it was still a good watch. At least once through.

So basically I agree with you, but I still rate it much higher.

Sep 9, 2011
Melourn says...

I noticed, literally, EVERYTHING (with exception to the choppy animation- but maybe that's just my untrained eye?) that you noticed. I was laughing at all the things you listed that were wrong with the story...So funny! But, I think with a little more content, the whole thing could have been amazing. Well, and with an ending, ofcourse.

I disagree about Monaka's voice though, ("the scene where Monika fires a Roman candle for proof") she is intentionally making herself sound forced... Even the other waitress points it out. She tells her straight up that she should just act how she really feels. So, the "forced" areas (imo) were on purpose.

I do, however, wish there had been some kind of back-story for the characters, that would have been nice.

"The monster spends most of its time hiding but comes out at random periods to do nothing in particular." I noticed that he attacked a bunch of suits- so I'm guessing that he didn't jsut come out for no particular reason, but instead was flushed out by the company trying to do the cover-up.

I noticed you talked about the doctor, but you never mentioned how he mysteriously disappears from the story without so much as an explanation. (Although, we can obviously assume, since the other guy was about to be murdered by the suits, that the doctor was murdered somewhere outside the visible panels.)

I believe that Monaka's cousin/sister/friend served partially as a mood-breaker or comic-relief, the agents are just a plot device to bring the mutated father thing and monaka together, and as far as the cop asking Monaka out...the story was all too short to ever develop anything out of it- although it could've become interesting in a full-on anime series. Possibilities...

Remember that this is an OVA...but I definitely agree that this OVA seems to be an amalgam of two sepoarate manga's pasted together in somewhat of a hurry. Boy, if they'd have put a little effort into this- it would have been amazing! I would suggest that people DO watch this- if only to develop a cult following to demand an actualized series with real substance and value. I love the IDEA of Kite Liberator- and I liked the OVA almost as much!

All of this said...Kite Liberator is actually (somehow) a sequel to the hentai movie Kite from way back when. I saw it so long ago that I don't even remember a damned thing about it except the gun! Once I found out about this being a sequel- I realized why the gun was so familiar and then I remember the guy talking about the assassin that used to use the gun...blah blah BAM! So, now I'm heading off to download the movie Kite.  :)

Jul 31, 2011