Kirayoshi's avatar

• Joined Jan 9, 2010
  • 29 / ?

K-On!

Mar 26, 2010

I was recommended this anime when it was into its second episode and I immediately loved it. Each episode has its own little story following each of the girls’ progress to reach the goal of performing live. Explained from the other reviews here, the story follows four girls in an after school club involved in light music (technically pop music). Our main character Yui joins the group even though not having played any instrument before (except Castanets). Under the guidance of the bassist Mio Akiyama, Yui learns how to play the guitar (or “giitah”; Yui’s pet name for her guitar).

Ignoring the storyline entirely, I listened more so to the music that is played in this anime. To my amazement the music is so catchy and enjoyable that this anime achieved a #1 spot on the Oricon weekly CD albums Music Charts selling 67,000 copies (The mini album Hōkago Tea Time) making it the first image song album credited to fictional anime characters that reached the highest position.

I am still puzzled as is to why this anime hasn’t been updated, with the fact that there are 14 episodes released; one summary (which is basically a compilation of all the songs in the anime) and 6 mini specials. Oh well, I just sit back and enjoy the return of this anime’s second season in “K-ON!!”